This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.1706 / 50°10'14"N
Longitude: -5.0999 / 5°5'59"W
OS Eastings: 178738
OS Northings: 34662
OS Grid: SW787346
Mapcode National: GBR ZC.G7KG
Mapcode Global: FRA 086K.WHJ
Plus Code: 9C2P5WC2+63
Entry Name: Church of St Gluvias
Listing Date: 28 January 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1205597
English Heritage Legacy ID: 365724
Location: Penryn, Cornwall, TR10
Civil Parish: Penryn
Built-Up Area: Penryn
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Gluvias
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW7834NE CHURCH HILL
580-1/4/42 (East side)
28/01/49 Church of St Gluvias
Parish church. C15 west tower, otherwise much rebuilt and
remodelled in 1883 by Piers St Aubyn. Granite ashlar, coursed
dressed granite and granite rubble with freestone dressings;
dry Delabole slate roofs with crested ridge tiles. Tower is
coursed local rubble with granite and freestone dressings.
Plan: C15 west tower with NW stair turret, north wall, east
ends of north and south aisles; otherwise 1883 navel chancel,
south wall and later south porch plus vestry extensions
Perpendicular 3-stage embattled tower with angle buttresses
and stair turret to NW corner; C15 pointed granite doorway
with C19 planked door and strap hinges; C19 freestone 3-light
traceried window over doorway and C15 two-light windows to
upper stage of tower; strings dividing stages.
North wall is 6 bays with buttresses dividing bays with C19
three-light traceried windows in C15 openings; C15 pointed
arched moulded freestone doorway with square hoodmould with
carved stops and quatrefoils to spandrels; many inscriptions
and to other parts of north wall. Similar west window and
taller 3-light projecting gabled windows to east ends of
aisles flanking projecting chancel with large 3-light E
South wall has porch to far left with pointed doorway with
quatrefoils to spandrels and 5 bays with windows similar to
those of W wall; 2 buttresses and round-headed priests doorway
between right-hand windows.
INTERIOR: C19 six-bay pointed-arched freestone arcades between
nave and aisles, plastered or painted walls; C19 waggon roofs,
the choir/chancel roof incorporating C15 carved ribs from
East wall of N aisle has 2 niches, each with arcade of 3
pointed arches and pair of round-arched niches (possibly a
very early feature resited or evidence that this wall is part
of a very early structure). Other early fragments include C15
piscina in porch and pointed-arched aumbry to east end of
FITTINGS: C19 fittings include: octagonal freestone font, with
quatrefoils, on granite base; octagonal oak pulpit on moulded
freestone base; organ loft on 4 Tuscan columns to west end of
S aisle; sedilia on 3 brackets to chancel; pitch pine pews
with shaped ends, one pew with carved oak end inscribed: "This
church restored AD 1882-3, Michael Jenkin Lavin, Mayor"; floor
of reset slate headstones; brass lectern with eagle; 1841
painted boards recording bequests and benefactions of Richard
Ludgie 1722-1733 and 1735, John Verran 1758 and Thomas Lukey
MONUMENTS: many fine quality monuments including brass and
slate to Thomas Killigrew 1484 with husband and wife, missing
brass, probably sons, 6 daughters and shields.
Large plaster and slate monument in 4 parts flanking and
within jambs of east window of south aisle; east part as an
aedicule framed by Ionic columns and surmounted by family
crests, the 2 on right with original scrolled brackets with
cherubs; left-hand panel to Samuel Pendarves of Roscrow
d.1643, over extra panel to William, son of John and Bridget
Pendarves; next panel to Grace, wife of Samuell Pendarves,
d.1662 over later panel to Walter, son of John and Bridget,
d.1663; next panel to William, also of Roscrow, d.1670 and
last panel to Ann, his wife, d.1643.
South wall: plaster aedicule with broken pediment and marble
shelf on bracket with lion's head flanking cherub to Samuel
Ennys of Ennys (now Enys, St Gluvias CP) 1611-1697 and
Elizabeth his wife, daughter of Samuel Pendarves of Roscrow,
1618-1705; marble and slate obelisk to Thomas Enys of Enys,
d.1802 aged 30.
North wall: slate aedicule with wigged bust and drapes between
Corinthian columns to J Kempe, d.1711; marble cartouche with
skull at bottom to John Collier Clerk d.1691 aged 3; and
similar cartouche to William Worth d.1689 aged 55.
MEMORIAL FITTINGS: large French mosaic reredos depicting
saints as memorial to Archbishop Philpotts.
MEMORIAL WINDOWS: E window of N aisle to Lilian Mary Plaice
and Frederick Dennis Bruce, Vicar 1915-1927; E window of
chancel to Louisa Philpotts d.1871; also E window of S aisle.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Cornwall: 1951-1970:
Listing NGR: SW7873834662
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings