History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Compton Hall and Adjoining Former Stable Block

A Grade II Listed Building in Wolverhampton, Wolverhampton

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5859 / 52°35'9"N

Longitude: -2.1721 / 2°10'19"W

OS Eastings: 388436

OS Northings: 298693

OS Grid: SO884986

Mapcode National: GBR 12K.PD

Mapcode Global: WHBFY.L8WD

Entry Name: Compton Hall and Adjoining Former Stable Block

Listing Date: 15 November 1976

Last Amended: 31 March 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1205633

English Heritage Legacy ID: 378390

Location: Wolverhampton, WV3

County: Wolverhampton

Electoral Ward/Division: Tettenhall Wightwick

Built-Up Area: Wolverhampton

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Tettenhall Wood Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Wolverhampton

Listing Text


WOLVERHAMPTON

SO89NE COMPTON ROAD
895-1/4/53 (South side)
15/11/76 Compton Hall and adjoining former
stable block
(Formerly Listed as:
(South side)
Compton Hall)

GV II

House, now hospice. c1845 with later alterations. By Edward
Banks, with interior design work by William Morris and Co,
1895-6. Brick with ashlar dressings, later stuccoed to 3 main
elevations; hipped slate roof. Double-depth plan. Italianate
style. 2 storeys; 3-window range with recessed centre. Plain
plinth; 1st floor sill band; dentilled cornice and wide eaves;
rusticated quoin strips. Windows have shouldered architraves
and 4-pane horned sashes, those to ground floor with
keystones, those to 1st floor with eared architraves. Central
round-headed entrance has panelled pilasters and archivolt,
triple keystone and recessed half-glazed door; several
cross-axial stacks. Left return similar, but with 2 large end
bow windows with 3 architraved horned sashes of 24 panes to
left; cornices and balustrades; 1st floor has 2 round windows.
Rear has 24-pane sash to ground floor; round-headed stair
window with small-panes sash over entrance with side light;
inserted entrance and C20 1st floor extension on stilts to
left. Right return is plain 5-window range, windows with wedge
lintels over 12-pane sashes. Stable wing has later alterations
and opposed segmental-headed cart entrances; tile hung jettied
1st floor; timber lantern.
INTERIOR: rooms decorated by Morris and Co; through-passage
hall has stone flagging and deal panelling, cornice with
egg-and-dart, architraved doors, stair with symmetrical
balusters; rooms to left of interest: front room has
oak-grained deal panelling and dentilled cornice, fireplace
with Ionic columns, embossed paper to ceiling; study has
shelving, walnut panelling, fireplace with de Morgan tiles;
Stephen Morton room to rear has oak panelling, fireplace with
Doric columns, tiles and flanking shelving, walls originally
had Burne-Jones' Holy Grail tapestries, now in Birmingham City
Art Gallery, painted ceiling. Morris is said to have designed
his last wallpaper for this house, which he called "Compton".
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: London:
1974-: P.326).


Listing NGR: SO8843698693

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.