History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Baptist Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Cirencester, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7181 / 51°43'4"N

Longitude: -1.9702 / 1°58'12"W

OS Eastings: 402156

OS Northings: 202147

OS Grid: SP021021

Mapcode National: GBR 3QY.6Q6

Mapcode Global: VHB2Q.S2TS

Entry Name: Baptist Chapel

Listing Date: 23 July 1971

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1205637

English Heritage Legacy ID: 365234

Location: Cirencester, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7

County: Gloucestershire

Civil Parish: Cirencester

Built-Up Area: Cirencester

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Cirencester St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Cirencester

Listing Text


CIRENCESTER

SP0202 COXWELL STREET
578-1/4/92 (South side)
23/07/71 Baptist Chapel

GV II

Baptist Chapel. Rebuilt 1857. Limestone ashlar to front,
coursed limestone rubble to right side; roof has clay tiles
laid in alternating bands of plain dark red and shaped black
tiles. Chapel is in simple Italianate style, gable facing.
Single-storey 3-window range. Street front has triple
round-headed window to centre with moulded stone surround and
heavy cill on brackets over pair of 6-panel round-headed
central doors in moulded stone surround; long round-headed
windows in moulded stone surrounds to left and right with
diamond-pattern leaded lights with coloured glass borders.
Carved ribbon decoration above central window; pilaster strips
on left and right corners continued as simple aedicule;
moulded stone coping with corbelled-out kneelers to gable and
shallow stone plinth. Right side has 5 pairs of tall
round-headed windows in stone surrounds with broad chamfer;
one small similar window to extreme right lighting staircase.
Later additions to rear.
INTERIOR has false ceiling of acoustic tiles inserted c1987
cutting off heads of side windows; simple west gallery; organ
in recessed bay at east end; C20 furnishings; one C18
memorial, 1776 Joseph and Anna Freman, one C19 memorial,
Daniel White former minister. Church originally formed mid
C17.
(Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses: Stell C:
Gloucestershire: RCHM: 1986-: P.79).


Listing NGR: SP0215602147

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.