This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1785 / 51°10'42"N
Longitude: 0.0388 / 0°2'19"E
OS Eastings: 542607
OS Northings: 144120
OS Grid: TQ426441
Mapcode National: GBR LMR.4LW
Mapcode Global: VHHQ2.MMDW
Plus Code: 9F3252HQ+CG
Entry Name: Starborough Castle Walls and Garden House
Listing Date: 11 June 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1205666
English Heritage Legacy ID: 287463
Location: Dormansland, Tandridge, Surrey, TN8
Civil Parish: Dormansland
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Dormansland St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 44SW LINGFIELD C.P. MOOR LANE
10/221 Starborough Castle
11/6/58 Garden House
Castle walls to moat and garden house. Walls circa 1431 or earlier, garden house
constructed on older foundations and employing old materials in 1754. Converted
into a billiard room in late C19. Moat walls of rough dressed stone rising
just above ground level and enclosing a square mound 50 metres x 50 metres with
round angle tower bases to inner wall. Garden house in north east corner of
mound. Dressed ashlar walls with brick and rubblestone patches, part rendered,
on inner face. Rectangular with diagonal offset angle buttresses, buttresses
to centre of east and west sides and battlemented parapets. Angle spire finials
with crockets, missing on south east and north east corners. One storey over
older vaulted cellars. Angle bay window to centre of north side with one stone
mullioned two-light window below and stone Y tracery in bay windows. Two similar
windows to each of the east and west sides under flat hood mouldings. Remains
of a door to south. Arched planked door in basement. Keystone stone dressed
opening above with inscription above reading:-
"OBSCURO POSITUS LOCO LENI PERFRUAR OTIO" stone panels either side in moulded
surrounds with crests to top half. Inscription to left reads "RESTITUIT JACOBUS
BARROW, 1754" Inscription to right:- "MUNIVIT REGINALDUS DE COBHAM per LICENUIAM
REGIS EDWARDI 3 tij DATE: 18 OCTOBRIS ANNO REG.15. DE MANSO KERNELLANDO 1342" to
right. Central stone roundel above. Small steep open pediment with dog tooth
band across base over gargoyle head.
Remains of castle built by Reginald Lord Cobham, founder of the College in
Lingfield, on the site of and incorporating earlier buildings, dismantled 1648.
Derelict at time of re-survey.
V.C.H.: Surrey Vol. i) p.417, Vol. iv) pp. 302-6, 398-401.
MANNING & BRAY : History of Surrey II p.347
Listing NGR: TQ4260744120
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings