History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ilkeston, Derbyshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.971 / 52°58'15"N

Longitude: -1.3083 / 1°18'29"W

OS Eastings: 446549

OS Northings: 341739

OS Grid: SK465417

Mapcode National: GBR 7FV.L32

Mapcode Global: WHDGP.WL56

Plus Code: 9C4WXMCR+CM

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 26 September 1963

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1205669

English Heritage Legacy ID: 352253

Location: Little Hallam, Erewash, Derbyshire, DE7

County: Derbyshire

District: Erewash

Electoral Ward/Division: Little Hallam

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Ilkeston

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Ilkeston St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in


SK 4641 NW
7/50 (East Side)
26.9.63 Church of St Mary

Parish church. Early C13, C14, extensively restored in 1853-5
by T L Walker, the west end enlarged and rebuilt in 1909-10 by
PH Currey. Sandstone ashlar, plain tile roofs with moulded
coped gables. West tower, aisled nave and chancel with north
chapel and south vestries. West tower of three stages, divided
by chamfered stringcourses. Clasping buttresses. Ground stage
partly engaged by the aisles. West doorway with moulded
surround and one order of columns with elaborate foliage
capitals and head corbels. Plank doors with elaborate iron
hinges. Pair of lancets above with colonnettes, carved capitals
and hoodmould, continued as a stringcourse. The second stage
has to north, south and west, a small lancet and a clock face
above. Bell stage has on each side bell openings of two lancet
lights with a quatrefoil over, within a single arch with
colonnettes. Trefoil corbel table, panelled parapet with eight
pinnacles. The battlemented lean-to aisles have 4-light west
windows with intersecting tracery with trefoil and quatrefoil
motifs. The north aisle has six buttresses and six 3-light
windows with cusped intersecting tracery of slightly varied
design. Gabled north east chapel partly engaged by the north
aisle. To the west is a gabled porch with a doorway of two
orders of colonnettes. Double doors with elaborate iron hinges.
Rose window above of six trefoils in circles. To the north it
has three 3-light windows with cusped intersecting tracery.
4-light east window with cusped intersecting tracery and a
cusped quatrefoil in a circle. The chapel has moulded eaves
cornice and decorative ridge tiles. Impressive chancel east
window of 5-lights with a wheel set in a spherical triangle over
cusped and shafted lancets. Flanked by deep gableted
buttresses. South east vestries, triple gabled to south, the
middle gable smaller. Rebuilt as a World War One memorial.
Windows mostly with intersecting tracery. The south aisle has
five 3-light windows with buttresses between, as on the north
side but with more varied tracery. The westernmost window has
been removed and a C20 range attached to south, not of special
interest. Interior: low tower arch with semi-circular responds
and dogtooth ornament. Internal 2-light window above with
quatrefoil over. Lofty six bay arcades. The easternmost part
has early C13 circular piers with capitals of small upright
leaves. These piers were raised in the C14. Chevron moulded
pointed arches. Three west bays have octagonal piers and
double chamfered arches. Moulded chancel arch on foliage
corbels. Rich late C14 three-bay north chapel arcade with
finely moulded arches. Triple sedilia and double piscina of
c1280. Double chamfered doorway to vestry and an internal
3-light window above with cusped intersecting tracery. Unusual
early C14 stone rood screen with 1-light divisions with a cusped
ogee arch and large quatrefoil in each spandrel. Monument
between the chancel and the north chapel. Late C13 effigy of a
cross-legged knight set on a tomb chest. C19 hexagonal stone
pulpit on a circular base. C19 octagonal font. Plain chamfered
tomb recess in the north aisle. Gothic organ case of 1889.
Stained glass: east window of 1910, probably by Burlison &
Grylls. North aisle, third window from the east, 1914 by Jones
& Willis.

Listing NGR: SK4654941739

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 25 January 2017.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.