History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Oakley Hall and pair of sphinxes framing east entrance

A Grade II* Listed Building in Loggerheads, Staffordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.9291 / 52°55'44"N

Longitude: -2.4457 / 2°26'44"W

OS Eastings: 370134

OS Northings: 336943

OS Grid: SJ701369

Mapcode National: GBR 7X.MDFV

Mapcode Global: WH9BY.DMLW

Plus Code: 9C4VWHH3+JP

Entry Name: Oakley Hall and pair of sphinxes framing east entrance

Listing Date: 2 December 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1205760

English Heritage Legacy ID: 362605

Location: Loggerheads, Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire, TF9

County: Staffordshire

Civil Parish: Loggerheads

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Mucklestone St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Market Drayton

Listing Text


Oakley Hall and pair
2/12/52 of sphinxes framing
east entrance


Country house. 1710 (datestone on north wall) with later additions and
alterations. Built for Sir John Chetwode. Red brick on sandstone plinth
with ashlar and rusticated dressings; slate roofs, orange-brown brick
ridge stacks re-built in late C20. Two storeys over cellars; flat stone
string course, moulded eaves cornice and parapet. East front: is entrance
front; symmetrical of 11 bays arranged a-b-c-b-a; the 2 end bays projecting
slightly; rusticated quoin strips to corners and ashlar-faced centre flanked
by 2 giant pilasters with Corinthian capitals; windows all glazing bar
sashes in moulded stone surrounds with projecting keystones, mid-window
also with grotesque lion's head above and swags of garlands and bottom
volutes to sides; central doorway with segmental pediment on console
brackets, 6-panel double door with delicately wreathed metal fanlight;
balustrade above parapet with plain early C20 pediment, decorated with
festooned garlands, to centre (the original pediment was curvaceous with
shaped finials). North front: in 7 bays with 3-window bow (early C19)
to centre of ground floor. West front: 3:3:3 bays; central section slightly
projecting and with a full-height 3-window bow under conical roof (note
the turned balusters below the first floor windows and the console brackets
to the central one). Plain south front in 4 bays with a 4-bay colonnaded
verandah (reconstructed as a conservatory in late C20) attached to south-
west corner. Interior: considerably altered in early 1970's, the chief
items of interest are now the early C18 staircase with its turned balusters
and a plastered ceiling and frieze (c.1800) to the ground floor of the
2-storeyed bow on west side; this room also has a good fireplace (again
of c.1800) and shutters to the windows, as have those to the single-storeyed
bow on north. 2 sphinx-like figures with female heads and cast iron lamps
behind flank the main entrance. A ha-ha with drystone wall approximately
1.2m high lies about 60m to the east and lies within the curtilage. B.o.E.,
Pp. 214-5.

Listing NGR: SJ7013436943

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.