History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

47, 49 and 51, Dyer Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Cirencester, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7162 / 51°42'58"N

Longitude: -1.9632 / 1°57'47"W

OS Eastings: 402640

OS Northings: 201941

OS Grid: SP026019

Mapcode National: GBR 3QY.8H5

Mapcode Global: VHB2Q.X4J6

Entry Name: 47, 49 and 51, Dyer Street

Listing Date: 29 April 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1205916

English Heritage Legacy ID: 365278

Location: Cirencester, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Cirencester

Built-Up Area: Cirencester

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Cirencester St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Cirencester

Listing Text


CIRENCESTER

SP0201 DYER STREET
578-1/6/142 (North side)
29/04/91 Nos.47, 49 AND 51

GV II

3 houses, now flats, dental surgery and shop. Dated 1889.
Built for Bathurst estate. Coursed squared limestone; stone
slate roof to left (No.47), artificial stone slates to centre
and right (Nos 49 and 51); large stone ridge stacks to centre
and at right end. 3 gables to street; shared through passage
to rear at centre right. Revived Cotswold vernacular style.
2 storeys and attic; 3-window range. First floor has 3 oriel
windows with 4-light canted bays with ovolo-moulded, probably
stone, mullions-and-transoms with leaded upper lights. Shaped
bases to oriels are rendered; dentil cornices over windows and
lead flat roofs. Three 3-light ovolo-moulded stone-mullion
windows with hoodmoulds in gables above, retaining leaded
lights to left (No.47) and in one light to centre (No.49);
plastic windows to right (No.51). Three oval leaded windows in
moulded stone surrounds with curved dripmoulds over in gables
above 3-light windows. Ground floor has two 3-light
ovolo-moulded stone mullion-and-transom windows with leaded
upper lights to left and centre (Nos 47 and 49); 6-panel door
with upper 2 panels glazed in moulded stone surround to left
(No.47); C20 glazed door in similar surround to centre
(No.49); C20 plate glass shopfront with glazed door to right
(No.51).
To centre right passage to rear has wrought-iron gate in
moulded stone surround with four-centred arched head; moulded
string over ground floor breaks upwards over passage entrance
to enclose stone shield lettered 1889 B REBUILT. Flush quoins
to left and right angles; four square section iron rainwater
pipes with moulded hopper heads. INTERIORS not inspected.


Listing NGR: SP0264001941

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.