This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.873 / 50°52'22"N
Longitude: -2.9678 / 2°58'3"W
OS Eastings: 332002
OS Northings: 108610
OS Grid: ST320086
Mapcode National: GBR M6.TCY6
Mapcode Global: FRA 46NS.RM5
Entry Name: Former Meeting House to Rear of Harvey's Hospital
Listing Date: 13 December 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1205947
English Heritage Legacy ID: 374150
Location: Chard Town, South Somerset, Somerset, TA20
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Chard Town
Built-Up Area: Chard
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of England Parish: Chard St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells
756-1/4/121 HIGH STREET
FORMER MEETING HOUSE TO REAR OF HARVEY
Former Meeting House at Harvey's Hospital, constructed in 1904.
MATERIALS: Stretcher bond cream brick; gabled slate roof with glazed clerestory and moulded kneelers to shaped gables; brick end stack with moulded stone coping. PLAN: One room plan, and single storey.
EXTERIOR: The east elevation has a label mould over a segmental arch with sunk spandrels and engaged shafts to the panelled double doors. There is a four-light Tudor-arched transomed window to the south gable wall which has a label mould over.
INTERIOR: Retains a glazed ceramic fireplace with mantelshelf.
HISTORY: An almshouse known as Harvey's Hospital was established in Chard in 1663, founded and endowed by the will of Richard Harvey, a merchant from Exeter. who was born in Chard. By the C19 the almhouse was in a poor state of repair and was demolished and replaced by the existing buildings in 1841/2 at a cost of £1741. The detached meeting house was added to the north in 1904 to provide a common room for work and reading, and where religious services could be held.
SOURCES: Tony Prior, Harveys, The Story of an Almshouse
REASON FOR DESIGNATION: The former meeting house at Harvey's Hospital is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Its overall level of architectural quality, particularly visible in its key external features
* It has strong group value with the Grade II listed almshouse
* It contributes to the historic development of the ensemble of which it forms a part
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings