History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Episcopal Palace, Including Gatehouse and Attached Ranges and Wall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hereford, Herefordshire,

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.0536 / 52°3'13"N

Longitude: -2.7165 / 2°42'59"W

OS Eastings: 350963

OS Northings: 239712

OS Grid: SO509397

Mapcode National: GBR FL.DSXF

Mapcode Global: VH85N.VNR2

Plus Code: 9C4V373M+C9

Entry Name: Episcopal Palace, Including Gatehouse and Attached Ranges and Wall

Listing Date: 10 June 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1206091

English Heritage Legacy ID: 372290

Location: Hereford, County of Herefordshire, HR4

County: Herefordshire,

Civil Parish: Hereford

Built-Up Area: Hereford

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Find accommodation in



683-1/2/113 (South side)
10/06/52 Episcopal Palace, including
gatehouse and attached ranges and
(Formerly Listed as:
Episcopal Palace (including
Gate-house, Chapel and Wall along
Gwynne Street))
(Formerly Listed as:
Boundary wall at Episcopal Palace)


Episcopal palace, gatehouse, attached range (Chauffeur's,
Gardener's and North Lodging Cottages), former stables, chapel
and boundary wall to Gwynne Street. C12-C17 with C18 and C19
alterations including chapel of 1798 and stable block of 1841
by Philip Hardwick.
MATERIALS: brick, with some ashlar and timber-framing; various
slate roofs, and brick and ashlar chimneys.
EXTERIOR: main front: 2 storeys; 5-window range: 9/9 sashes
under gauged brick flat arches. C20 glazed door, to left, with
C19 ornamental overlight, under simple porch; to left, 1, to
right 3, 9/9 sashes under gauged brick flat arches, and stone
band. Encases late C12 aisled hall, probably originally of 5
bays, with largely original roof.
Brick service range, to north, is now cottages, with link
block to main range which was refronted by Hardwick and is now
Diocesan offices. Gatehouse with C17 timber-framing over
4-centred arches. Former stables to west, now dwelling,
storage and garages. Coursed stone with plain-tile roof with
decorative ridge and louvres, recessed centre and 2 projecting
gables facing main range. Gables have twin ogee lights with
stone moulded architrave windows. Central section has
4-centred arch with heraldic shields above.
Boundary wall to Gwynne Street extends for approx. 50m to
south-west and south; coursed rubble.
INTERIOR: C19 dogleg staircase with turned balusters.
Attic: C12 roof with arch bracing, traces of painting; foliate
capitals. 1st floor: plasterwork ceiling with panelled
beam-cases; panelled shutters; C19 fireplaces; 6-panel doors
with architraves; cornices.
Ground floor: 6- and 8-panel doors; C18 and C19 fireplaces;
shutters; cornices; 3-panel doors; pelmets; panelled reveals;
skirting; stained-glass overlight; shutters.
Chapel with plasterwork ceiling, fluted Corinthian pilasters.
Hall: ornate plasterwork ceiling; fluted pilasters (hiding
Norman pillars), "Norman" and "Tudor" doorways; fireplace;
polychrome floor; panelled reveals and shutters.
Archive Room: C19 winder stair with stick balusters; 1st floor
(over entrance arch): C19 fireplace; 2 and 4-panel doors;
exposed C17 or earlier timber-framing with arched windbraces
with architraves; jowled posts.
Chauffeur's Cottage and North Lodging Cottage: 1st floor:
wide, straight staircase; 2-panel doors; exposed C17 or
earlier square-panel framing; C18 fireplace; panelling door;
chamfered stone fireplace with oak lintel; massive stack; 6-
and 4-panel doors; two 4-centred arches.
Ground floor: heavily moulded ceiling beams; moulded plank
door; plank doors; fireplace with chamfered oak lintel
(probable former oven); masonry; exposed framing; half-glazed
door; panelling door.
Gardener's Cottage: 1st floor: straight staircase in 2
flights; 4-panel doors; plank door; chamfered ceiling beams;
chamfered doorway with worked lintel; architraves to doors and
windows; 2-panel door; plank door; exposed framing. Ground
floor: chamfered ceiling beam; plank and panel doors; exposed
Boundary wall listed on 22.10.73.
(Ralegh-Radford CA et al: Mediaeval Archeology: 1973-: 78; ).

Listing NGR: SO5096039703

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.