History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade I Listed Building in Madeley, Staffordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9962 / 52°59'46"N

Longitude: -2.3396 / 2°20'22"W

OS Eastings: 377301

OS Northings: 344377

OS Grid: SJ773443

Mapcode National: GBR 02Z.39N

Mapcode Global: WH9BM.1Y5D

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 17 November 1966

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1206195

English Heritage Legacy ID: 362677

Location: Madeley, Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire, CW3

County: Staffordshire

District: Newcastle-under-Lyme

Civil Parish: Madeley

Built-Up Area: Madeley

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: MadeleyAll Saints

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Madeley

Listing Text

SJ 74 SE; 5/66

MADELEY C.P.,
VICARAGE LANE

Church of All Saints

17/11/66

GV

II

Parish church. C12 core, extensively remodelled C14 and C15, chancel
rebuilt in 1872 by Charles Lynam when the whole building was restored.
Pink sandstone ashlar, stone slate, plain tile and lead roofs. Nave,
chancel, west tower engaged to north and south aisles, north and south
transepts, north chancel chapel, south porch and, in space between north
chancel chapel and transept, an organ chamber.

Tower: probably c.1400,
with stepped buttresses and rectangular stair turret at south-west corner;
restored embattled parapet with crocketed corner pinnacles and gargoyles
beneath, 2-light trefoil-headed openings to belfry; west window with
Perpendicular tracery and carved heads as labels; west door under Tudor
arch. Nave: partly C12 fabric, but only C15 clerestory with restored
tracery and crenellated parapet is visible above later aisles, both of
two bays, that on north now with Decorated window tracery (renewed c.1870)
and that on south Perpendicular, of same build as clerestory; C14 north
doorway with double chamfering and hoodmould. Long gabled south porch
probably extended in C17 (see straight joint) but south door C15. Both
transepts are also C15 with renewed Perpendicular tracery and grotesque
heads as labels. Chancel: in two bays; 1872 rebuilding of C13 structure
in Decorated style, reticulated tracery. North chancel chapel: (now
vestry) C15 and in space between it and transept a small organ chamber
of 1872.

INTERIOR: tall, narrow double-chamfered tower arch with, to
the north, a wide, stepped buttress cutting through the west respond of
the late C12 north nave arcade, suggesting that there was probably once
a section of nave wall to the west and that the present west bay of the
north aisle is a C14 addition; the arcade itself is of four bays and has
octagonal piers with octagonal scalloped capitals (although, as already
noted, the north aisle windows are in Decorated style); also of the
same build, or a little later, is the former external lancet in the section
of C12 wall east of the eastern respond of the arcade, made redundant first
by the extension of the aisle to the east in C14 (see the Decorated window
in what is now the east wall of the north transept) and then by the
construction of the transept itself. That the nave had a clerestory
before the construction of this transept is shown by the existence of
a 2-light square-headed window (over the eastern bay of the north arcade)
which is cut externally by the pitch of the north transept roof. In the
transept itself are the remains of a piscina in the east wall. The C15
south nave arcade is in three bays with octagonal piers and capitals and to
the east, after a short section of blank wall, a similar arch of the same
build leads to south transept. The wide, pointed double-chamfered chancel
arch is early C13; otherwise the chancel is all of 1872, with the south side and piscina on the north. FITTINGS and furnishings: king-post roofs (probably C19) with painted decoration to the nave and transepts and a panelled, painted roof to the chancel (1872); the aisle roofs are medieval, C14 to north and a good panelled, coffered, cambered beam type to the south (C15). Other woodwork includes the screen to the tower gallery (1635), with heavy square balusters, and a C17 pulpit with its richly carved arches filled in with paintings of the symbols of the Evangelists amongst others (1872?); at the east end of the south
aisle a restored C15 openwork screen with 12 one-light divisions; in
the south transept a small communion table (C17) and in the north chancel
chapel an oak chest with the inscription "RSWS/CW/1625". The other most
notable features are the octagonal Victorian font and the early C20
marble reredos (next to the blocked rood stair) in the south transept.
The stained glass is good throughout; see especially the East window
by Clayton and Bell (1872), the Kempe glass in the south transept
south and east windows, and in window at the west end of the south
aisle, glass by William Morris; only the figure of St Peter is by
Morris himself, those of St Philip and Noah are by Ford Madox Brown
and the small crucifixion below by Burne-Jones. MONUMENTS: north
transept; Randolph Egerton (died 1512) and wife, alabaster tomb-chest
with incised figures of husband and wife on top, weepers to the sides
within an architectural framework and twisted colonettes to the corners;
north chancel chapel; John Crewe Offley (died 1688) an elaborate and
large memorial with coat-of-arms and urn to the top; south transept;
in the floor brasses to John Egerton (died 1518) and his wife, Elyn;
on the east wall, Sir Holland Egerton (died 1730) an elaborate tablet
with inscription and three-quarter bust in relief; Elizabeth (died
1705), first wife of Sir John Egerton, tablet with segmental broken "
pediment and 2 winged cherubim to the bottom (erected by Sir Holland
Egerton). Smaller monuments include a brass wall tablet with a kneeling
figure to Robert Hawkins (died 1586) (north aisle) and a simple brass
tablet to Charles Shaw (died 1762) (chancel south side).


Listing NGR: SJ7730144380

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.