History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Civic Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1926 / 52°11'33"N

Longitude: -1.7104 / 1°42'37"W

OS Eastings: 419891

OS Northings: 254964

OS Grid: SP198549

Mapcode National: GBR 4LT.DDR

Mapcode Global: VHBY0.95M0

Entry Name: Civic Hall

Listing Date: 9 February 1972

Last Amended: 4 April 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1206259

English Heritage Legacy ID: 366354

Location: Stratford-upon-Avon, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37

County: Warwickshire

Civil Parish: Stratford-upon-Avon

Built-Up Area: Stratford-upon-Avon

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Stratford on Avon Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Shottery

Listing Text


STRATFORD-UPON-AVON

SP1954NE ROTHER STREET
604-1/9/174 (West side)
09/02/72 Nos.14 AND 15
Civic Hall
(Formerly Listed as:
ROTHER STREET
(West side)
The Municipal Offices)

GV II

Pair of houses, later nursing home and hospital, now offices
of Stratford-upon-Avon Town Council with shops to ground floor
and late C20 public hall to rear addition. 1830. Stuccoed
brick; hipped slate roof with brick internal stacks.
Double-depth plan. Georgian style.
3 storeys; symmetrical 7-window range; ends break back.
Rusticated ground floor, 1st-floor sill band and top cornice.
Round-headed entrance with gates has porch with baseless
fluted Doric columns and Tuscan entablature. Ground floor has
round-headed windows with sills and plate glass horned sashes,
but end windows have vermiculated keys and similar tripartite
sashes; windows to 1st floor have architraves to plate-glass
horned sashes, and 2nd floor has similar windows with 4/8-pane
sashes. Rear altered for entrance to public hall.
INTERIOR: open-well staircase and landing with stick
balusters.
The building was used as the 1st post-Reformation Catholic
chapel 1852-7 and as a nursing home and children's hospital
from 1876.
(Bearman R: Stratford-upon-Avon: A History of its Streets and
Buildings: Nelson: 1988-: 49).


Listing NGR: SP1989154964

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.