This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.1645 / 55°9'52"N
Longitude: -1.7363 / 1°44'10"W
OS Eastings: 416899
OS Northings: 585611
OS Grid: NZ168856
Mapcode National: GBR J89Q.WG
Mapcode Global: WHC2Q.9GG4
Plus Code: 9C7W5777+RF
Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdalene
Listing Date: 20 October 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1206521
English Heritage Legacy ID: 238936
Location: Mitford, Northumberland, NE61
Civil Parish: Mitford
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Mitford St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
Tagged with: Church building
9/21 Church of St.
Parish Church. Late C12, remodelled C13 (perhaps after village was burnt by
King John in 1216), transepts C14. Restoration, rebuilding of south aisle and
addition of west tower, clerestorey and porch, by R.J. Johnson of Newcastle 1874-5.
Medieval parts squared stone, C19 parts ashlar; red tile roofs. Nave with west
tower, 4-bay south aisle, south porch and transepts; chancel with north organ
Tower has octagonal south-west stair turret with loop lights and pyramidal cap.
Chamfered set-back below belfry; sill and parapet strings. Y-tracery west
window, small 2-light windows above; 2-light bell openings under circular sound
holes. Octagonal stone broach spire with gabled lucarnes. Nave: south aisle
wall shows stepped angle buttresses and sill string. Projecting south-west
porch has double-chamfered arch. Single and paired lancets in aisle and
clerestorey. Chevron-moulded string above aisle roof is largely C19; at east
end the remains of an attached angle shaft. North nave wall has C13 masonry,
3 lancets and blocked square-headed door under relieving arch; C19 chamfered
string and lancet clerestorey. Low transepts, each with gable-end window of 2
trefoiled ogee lights; the southern has Mitford arms (3 moles dormant) above
and between lights.
Chancel south wall 6 bays: double plinth, strings and chamfered eaves cornice.
C12 priest's door in 4th bay, perhaps re-set, has arch of 2 enriched orders,
the outer on shafts with scalloped caps. Lancet windows with chamfered hood
and low-side window with pointed head. East end triple lancets with C19 vesica
above. 2 lancets on north, the western C19, flank a section of wall bearing
traces of earlier sacristy. High-pitched roofs. Coped gables with finial
crosses. Openwork ridge on nave.
Interior: C12 south arcade of 4 round moulded arches on round piers with
scalloped capitals and bases with broad angle spurs; semi-octagonal responds
(western C19). Similar arch to north transept; foliage-carved west respond
capital. South transept has small piscina and shafted jamb of arch to former
apse. Triple-chamfered arch to tower with groined vault. C19 chancel arch on
earlier moulded responds. Triple sedilia; piscina in square-moulded recess.
Eastern lancets have shafted jambs and moulded rear arches; C12 outer shafts
and chevron-moulded impost string.
Fittings: Revely monument of 1622 in chancel with wall tablet: '... REST
BARTRAM IN THIS HOUSE OF CLAY/REVELEY UNTO THE LATTER DAY', in elaborate surround,
above effigy on altar tomb. Romanesque wall monument in south transept to
Bertram Osbaldeston Mitford d.1842. Early medieval bell at west end of nave.
C17/18 headstone, with crowned death's head, and medieval inscribed slab, in
south aisle. C19 fittings include font, openwork pulpit, low chancel screen
with wrought-iron gate, richly-carved canopied stalls and organ front, reredos
with figures of SS Aidan and Cuthbert, Minton tiles in sanctuary.
Listing NGR: NZ1689785608
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings