This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.1579 / 55°9'28"N
Longitude: -1.7297 / 1°43'46"W
OS Eastings: 417319
OS Northings: 584879
OS Grid: NZ173848
Mapcode National: GBR J8CS.9T
Mapcode Global: WHC2Q.DMK6
Entry Name: Farmbuildings to North of Mitford Steads Farmhouse
Listing Date: 20 October 1969
Last Amended: 29 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1206580
English Heritage Legacy ID: 238953
Location: Mitford, Northumberland, NE61
Civil Parish: Mitford
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Mitford St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
MITFORD MITFORD STEADS
NZ 18 SE
4/38 Farmbuildings to
20.10.69 north of Mitford
(formerly listed as
Farm buildings at
Planned farmbuildings. Late C18 foldyard group, with watermill and then gingang
added in early C19; buildings then extended to east to enclose second foldyard,
itself subdivided by later C19 byre range. Squared stone, with large blocks in
C18 parts probably re-used from Mitford Castle (q.v.), byre range tooled stone;
pantiles on west range, galvanised sheets on barn, asbestos sheets on east range
of C18 group, Scottish slates on all C19 parts.
Original western foldyard has barn on north, partly rebuilt in brick, with
raised gable copings. East range has 3 doors, the central blocked, and pair of
pigsties at south end. West range has 5-bay arcade (partly blocked) with square
piers and timber lintels, and stable door in south end.
Eastern yard has shelter shed/granary on north: 2 storeys, 8 bays; arcade of
segmental arches (3 now within byre range) with boarded windows over. East
range with 2 boarded doors and 5 windows, returning east at south end with
boarded door, window and boarded double doors in south wall. Byre range has
5-bay arcade on west with timber lintels on stone corbels, and cart entrance
flanked by slit vents on south. All ranges running south have hipped roofs.
Rear elevation of barn shows added watermill to east of cart entrance, containing
wheelpit faced with tooled stone. Wheel removed c.1952, mill roofless at time
of survey. On north of mill is gingang,originally with 5 piers; one replaced
by wooden prop, one missing. Conical roof; tie-beam carries central post with
radial struts and collars, 3 levels of purlins.
An unusually extensive complex showing development from a simple foldyard. The
juxtaposition of water wheel and gingang, which seem to have both worked a
common drive shaft to a thresher in the barn, is a rarity.
Listing NGR: NZ1731984879
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings