This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.1681 / 55°10'4"N
Longitude: -1.6538 / 1°39'13"W
OS Eastings: 422148
OS Northings: 586025
OS Grid: NZ221860
Mapcode National: GBR J8WP.R6
Mapcode Global: WHC2R.KCNF
Entry Name: Ruins of Lady Chapel on North Bank of River Wansbeck
Listing Date: 29 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1206590
English Heritage Legacy ID: 238957
Location: Pegswood, Northumberland, NE61
Civil Parish: Pegswood
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Bothal And Pegswood
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NZ 28 NW NZ 22148620
2/42 Ruins of Lady Chapel
on north bank of
Chapel, mid C14 probably rebuilt in later C15. Squared stone with cut dressings.
Single cell, only c.7 x 4 metres internally. Walls survive up to 4 courses high;
jambs of doorway, with drawbar hole, in centre of west end. Carved shield with
arms of Ogle and Bertram quartering Kirkby, removed in early C19 to Bothal
Castle, imply construction by Robert 1st Lord Ogle (d.1363). C18 engravings
show some late C15 features.
(Relief shield with bearings carved on rock face 12 metres north-east of the
chapel probably carved by a Morpeth curate early in C19).
Rev. J. Hodgson, History of Northumberland Part II Vol. II (1832) p.108.
Listing NGR: NZ2214886025
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings