This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.4007 / 53°24'2"N
Longitude: -2.9779 / 2°58'40"W
OS Eastings: 335076
OS Northings: 389763
OS Grid: SJ350897
Mapcode National: GBR 75Q.TY
Mapcode Global: WH877.7S6B
Plus Code: 9C5VC22C+7R
Entry Name: 159-163, Duke Street
Listing Date: 29 March 1982
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1206596
English Heritage Legacy ID: 214035
Location: Riverside, Liverpool, L1
Electoral Ward/Division: Riverside
Built-Up Area: Liverpool
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside
Church of England Parish: St Luke in the City Team
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
SJ 3589 NW DUKE STREET
56/397 Nos. 159-163 (odd)
1765. Three houses, part of an interrupted terrace with
Nos. 169-175 Duke Street. Brick. Slate roofs. Three
storeys with basements and attics. Each house pedimented
with stone cornice.
No. 159. Two bays, but destroyed ground floor probably had
three. Windows with sills and wedge lintels with keystones.
Sashed with all glazing bars. Small Venetian window in
pediment, side lights bricked up. Return facade to Colquitt
Street of three bays with one added later to left hand side.
Two small chimneys. Central round-headed recesses on each
floor; those on upper floors, except right hand bay, enclose
small wooden framed Venetian windows, all with modern
glazing. The added bay has blank window to ground floor,
double sash with all glazing bars first floor, and modern
glazing to a similar opening on second floor.
Interior: Venetian window in staircase with colonnettes on
No. 161. Differs only slightly from the preceding, having
three windows on the second floor. Ground floor with two
windows, sashed without glazing bars. To left hand side
stone doorcase of rusticated Doric pilasters, entablature
and pediment. Modern door. Basement has two boarded-up
openings with lintel band. Six stone steps to door with
iron railing to right hand side.
Interior. Elliptical arch between hallway and staircase,
with keystone, partly blocked. Staircase with open string,
columnar newel and some turned balusters.
No. 163. Similar to No. 159, of three bays to ground floor
and two above, separated by a moulded first floor sill band.
Ground floor plastered, with modern glazing. Six panel door
to right hand side between flanking pilasters, the remains
of a doorcase. Five stone steps to door and C19 railings.
One ridge chimney.
Interior. Hallway with timber Ionic cornice. Round arch
through to staircase, with fluted Doric pilasters. Four-
flight open-string stair and top landing with ramped moulded
handrail, brackets and columnar newels, retaining most of
its turned balusters. Other features include a small C18
wooden chimneypiece and a Venetian window at rear.
Shown on a plan by Eyes of 1765 when very new, these houses
are now the oldest in central Liverpool.
Listing NGR: SJ3507689763
Other nearby listed buildings