This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2313 / 51°13'52"N
Longitude: -3.8353 / 3°50'7"W
OS Eastings: 271954
OS Northings: 149608
OS Grid: SS719496
Mapcode National: GBR L1.2N64
Mapcode Global: VH4M9.G9SZ
Plus Code: 9C3R65J7+GV
Entry Name: Upper Waiting Room, Cliff Railway
Listing Date: 9 June 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1206632
English Heritage Legacy ID: 376509
Location: Lynton and Lynmouth, North Devon, Devon, EX35
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Lynton and Lynmouth
Built-Up Area: Lynton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Lynton St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH
SS7149 LEE ROAD, Lynton
858-1/4/19 (North side (off))
Upper Waiting Room, Cliff Railway
Waiting room at head of cliff railway. 1890. Built by Bob
Jones. A small pavilion incorporating a shop and a small room
used by rail staff, but formerly a waiting room.
Timber-framed, some rubble walling, asbestos cement slate
A hipped roof has, at the entrance end, set on the splay, a
gabled 'dormer' above a wide overhanging eaves, which
continues to the right, on timber brackets. The main framing
members are chamfered and stopped at all junctions, and frame
alternate wide and very narrow plate-glass lights above
plastered panels. The door, on the splay, is panelled, with
glass, and with vertical boards to the top panel, under a
transom light. The far side, overlooking the tracks, has 2
large tripartite plate sashes. The under-eaves are boarded,
and on the entry side there are cleats, probably to
accommodate shutters, which no longer exist. At the E end,
immediately under the eaves level, is a flat-roofed section
enclosed in a rubble wall with moulded coping.
INTERIORS: the shop interior has a boarded ceiling. The office
has a plank dado.
HISTORICAL NOTE: this cliff railway, the first of its kind in
England, was opened on Easter Day, 1890. It resulted from the
enterprise of Sir George Newnes, and Sir Thomas Hewitt, and is
still operated by water.
See also The Lower Waiting Room, The Esplanade, Lynmouth (qv).
Listing NGR: SS7195449608
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings