History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bridge Buildings

A Grade II Listed Building in Bideford, Devon

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.017 / 51°1'1"N

Longitude: -4.205 / 4°12'18"W

OS Eastings: 245431

OS Northings: 126489

OS Grid: SS454264

Mapcode National: GBR KJ.JBKQ

Mapcode Global: FRA 262F.9MP

Entry Name: Bridge Buildings

Listing Date: 19 March 1973

Last Amended: 19 April 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1206687

English Heritage Legacy ID: 375733

Location: Bideford, Torridge, Devon, EX39

County: Devon

District: Torridge

Civil Parish: Bideford

Built-Up Area: Bideford

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Bideford St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Bideford

Listing Text


BIDEFORD

SS4526 BRIDGE STREET
842-1/6/20 (North side)
19/03/73 Bridge Buildings
(Formerly Listed as:
BRIDGE STREET
(North side)
Bridge Hall. The Sundial)

GV II

Council offices. 1882 by WR Bideford. Carving by H Hems of
Exeter. Squared local stone rubble (rough-faced in ground
storey with a marked batter below sill-level); details in Ham
stone. 4 tall red brick chimneys with tops designed as
entablatures, the 3 on the sides fronting Bridge Street and
The Quay with pilasters strips on the sides.
Plan approximately square with entrance-hall and staircase in
centre of Bridge Street side. Renaissance style.
3 lofty storeys on side facing The Quay, 4 storeys to Bridge
Street, 3 storeys to Allhalland Street. Main fronts to Bridge
Street and The Quay of 6-window range, the 2 middle windows
set in slight projections.
Front to The Quay has segmental-headed ground-storey windows
with moulded architraves and scroll-keystones. Continued
moulded sills; entablature above window-heads. Second-storey
windows flat-headed with rounded top corners, moulded
surrounds and hood-moulds with carved terminals. Below them,
panels of carved foliage and cartouches or, in the centre
projection, half-balusters. Outer window in third storey have
flat heads and moulded surrounds, being finished above
eaves-level with shaped pediments.
Round-arched windows in centre with moulded architraves and
keystones, these flanked and separated by pilasters with
carved capitals supporting an entablature and segmental
pediment; the latter is a replacement of the original
ogee-shaped gable with carved front and small segmental
pediment. Beneath the window a pair of stringcourses forming
an entablature.
Bridge Street front is similar but with less regularity, since
both the centre projection and the left side have 4 tiers of
windows compared with 3 on the right. The centre projection is
finished with a pedestal flanked by scroll-buttresses and
carved with a cartouche and swags. An old photograph shows the
pedestal, or its predecessor, surmounted by a segmental
pediment. The shaped pediments which formerly topped the outer
third-storey window have been removed. Between the
second-storey windows of the centre projection is a painted
sundial, described in the 1973 list as 'from earlier
building'; if so, it has been very thoroughly restored. Front
to Allhalland Street is plain, though with entablatures,
stringcourses and continued sills carried round.
INTERIOR: open-well stone staircase with iron balustrade,
scrolled at the foot. Plain square-section balusters with
S-scrolls fitted in between their tops. On the walls of the
compartment, 4 stone coats-of-arms, one inscribed LEWIS BUCK
ESQUR. MAYOR 1758. Rooms not inspected. Perkin's Almanack of
1883 (p16) describes this as Bridge Hall. 'Here are held the
School of Science and Art classes; the Free Library; North
Devon Permanent and Terminable Building Society, the Bridge
Feoffee Meetings, etc. etc.' The builder was R T Hookway of
Bideford. Plaque in entrance-hall says building 'was rebuilt
at the cost of the Bridge Estate... on the site of a Bridge
Hall rebuilt AD 1758 and of a Free School rebuilt AD 1657 and
repaired AD 1680 and 1780 and of a Grammar School founded AD
1689'.
(Granville R: History of Bideford: 1883-: P.103-5; Goaman A:
Old Bideford and District: 1978-: 42, 49).


Listing NGR: SS4543726490

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.