This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4745 / 51°28'28"N
Longitude: -2.615 / 2°36'54"W
OS Eastings: 357381
OS Northings: 175234
OS Grid: ST573752
Mapcode National: GBR C3B.L9
Mapcode Global: VH88M.M6DJ
Entry Name: Carfax Court
Listing Date: 30 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1206700
English Heritage Legacy ID: 379547
Location: Bristol, BS6
Electoral Ward/Division: Redland
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Westbury Park St Alban
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST5775 DURDHAM PARK, Redland
901-1/31/1706 (North side)
House, now retirement flats. Dated 1873 but built 1853;
converted c1980. Snecked Carboniferous limestone and Brandon
Hill Grit rubble with limestone dressings, lateral and
exterior stacks, and a fish-scale slate cross-gabled roof.
Irregular L-shaped double-depth plan. Jacobethan style. 2
storeys, attic and basement; 6-window range. An irregular
composition with rear right-hand projecting wing, and the
entrance set in the re-entrant. Ground-floor cross windows,
and first-floor mullion windows with label moulds and stops,
to horned sashes with horizontal bars.
The road front in 3 sections: symmetrical 2-window left-hand
section has a central exterior stack with an ashlar top, and a
full-width stone balcony on stone brackets with a balustrade
of linked rings. A central gable set forward has a
ground-floor canted 3-light bow to a cornice and parapet,
paired first-floor window, and 2-light attic window with a
triangular head and lozenge-shaped top light, under a Flemish
gable with curved kneelers, moulded coping with a segmental
pediment on top containing an oculus.
Right-hand projecting section has a 2-storey, 3-light canted
bay with an ashlar parapet, raised to a gable containing a
shield with the monogram CJT and 1873.
The rear has a 2-storey parapeted stair hall with a balustrade
in the re-entrant angle between 2 gabled wings, at an angle to
the right a single-storey porch with a shaped gable,
semicircular-arched doorway with carved voussoirs, and 2-leaf
6-panel door, with a small semicircular-arched side window. To
the left is a 3-section ground-floor bay with a pulvinated
frieze and balustrade, the end sections bowed, that to the
right curving forward to meet the stair hall.
Right-hand projecting gable, as the front, has a similar
ground-floor bay with curved ends, projecting 3-light central
section, and balustrade, beneath a first-floor window with a
projecting bay and central 4-light bow; matching triangular
window as the front. The rear gable has a cast-iron lattice
basket balcony to the ground floor. Basement windows with
INTERIOR: lobby with panelled door to a stair hall with a
large window with thin colonnettes to the sides, and a central
open dogleg stair with barleysugar balusters, 4 to the
curtail; front former drawing room with elaborate lattice
coved cornice, panelled plaster ceiling, end bay marked by
thin colonnettes, and fine marble fire surround with carved
swag and central figurines; rear former dining room with
similar ceiling, egg-and-dart cornice, and bay; panelled
shutters and doors. Part of a group of 3 large villas with
similar stonework, this the best composed with 3 varied
elevations and good details.
Listing NGR: ST5738175234
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings