This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4716 / 50°28'17"N
Longitude: -3.5238 / 3°31'25"W
OS Eastings: 291961
OS Northings: 64643
OS Grid: SX919646
Mapcode National: GBR QX.2L8H
Mapcode Global: FRA 37HT.50Y
Plus Code: 9C2RFFCG+MF
Entry Name: Parish Church of Christ Church
Listing Date: 3 May 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1206769
English Heritage Legacy ID: 390597
Location: Torbay, TQ1
Electoral Ward/Division: Ellacombe
Built-Up Area: Torquay
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Ellacombe Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX9164 ELLACOMBE CHURCH ROAD
885-1/14/90 (North side)
Parish Church of Christ Church
Parish church. 1868 to the designs of Habershon, Brock and
Webb. Chancel and south-east chapel by Tait and Harvey, 1907,
aisle 1889 by Richards and Harrison. Snecked local grey
limestone rubble; freestone dressings; slate roof.
PLAN: Chancel; nave; 4-bay south aisle; south-west tower
incorporating porch; north-east vestry; south-east chapel.
EXTERIOR: Chancel lower than nave. South side (show front)
consists of the buttressed south aisle with a lean-to roof and
2-light Geometric Decorated-style traceried windows.
3-stage tower to west, square on plan to the bottom stage with
a south-east stair turret which has a moulded south doorway
with stiff-leaf capitals to the responds; gabled hoodmould and
original boarded door with good ironwork. Lancet windows
above. Belfry stage with canted corners has louvred lancet
windows with a stone batter below tall lucarnes; stone spire.
The south-east chapel is snecked ashlar with diagonal
buttresses, a parapet, hipped roof and trefoil-headed
one-light windows: one to the south side and two to the east.
Chancel with same masonry finish as the chapel, has moulded
string courses, angle buttresses and a central buttress in the
east wall; 5-light Geometric Decorated traceried east window.
North side of nave has Geometric Decorated traceried windows.
INTERIOR: Moulded chancel arch with text in Lombardic script;
chancel roof a boarded, keeled wagon with moulded ribs and
carved bosses. Unusually tall nave, the roof idiosyncratic:
5-and-a-half bays with intermediate trusses. Main trusses
arch-braced with queen posts above the tie supporting a
scissor-braced apex with braces from the queen posts both to
the purlins and principal rafters. Intermediate trusses are
also arch-braced with king posts. All trusses spring from
The 4-bay south arcade has remarkable slender cast-iron
columns of quatrefoil section and wrought-iron capitals below
an iron plate that supports the thick chamfered arches.
West end gallery glazed in with elaborate Gothic front.
The chancel has 2-bay arcades into the side chapels with
cylindrical columns and moulded arches. Sedilia with traceried
segmental arch and pendant.
FITTINGS: Chancel fittings of early C20; timber blind
traceried reredos; Purbeck marble ashlar chancel screen.
Octagonal pulpit with pierced roundels is contemporary with
chancel screen. Font with small bowl on slender stem. 1918 war
memorial window possibly by Hugh Easton.
(Brooks C, Cherry M and Cox J: Devon Nineteenth Century
Churches Project Archive).
Listing NGR: SX9196164643
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 27 October 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings