This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.4836 / 50°29'1"N
Longitude: -3.5256 / 3°31'32"W
OS Eastings: 291857
OS Northings: 65978
OS Grid: SX918659
Mapcode National: GBR QV.VZR1
Mapcode Global: FRA 37HS.B8Y
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 20 November 1952
Last Amended: 3 May 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1206774
English Heritage Legacy ID: 390614
Location: Torbay, TQ1
Electoral Ward/Division: St Marychurch
Built-Up Area: Torquay
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: St Marychurch St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX9164 FORE STREET, St Marychurch
885-1/11/435 (South West side)
20/11/52 Parish Church of St Mary
(Formerly Listed as:
FORE STREET, St Mary Church
Church of St Mary)
Parish church. Tower by J Hugall dated 1877; remainder of
church largely rebuilt 1952-56 in a traditional Gothic style
after serious war damage. Local grey limestone rubble brought
to course, yellow sandstone dressings; natural slate roof.
PLAN: Nave; chancel; N & S aisles; west tower.
EXTERIOR: 3-stage W tower with angle buttresses with a 2-stage
SE stair turret with a statue niche. The west face has a
4-light traceried window with curvilinear tracery and shafts
with carved capitals. 2nd stage has 2 trefoil-headed one-light
windows. Two 2-light Decorated style traceried belfry windows
have louvres and richly-moulded architraves. Pierced parapet &
octagonal corner pinnacles. The 1950s rebuild is conventional
Gothic style with a buttressed S aisle and traceried windows.
INTERIOR; Not inspected on survey. Pevsner notes a good C12
font with figure scenes; a pre-war rood screen and post-war
fittings by Herbert Read of Exeter.
Listing NGR: SX9185765978
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings