This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4673 / 50°28'2"N
Longitude: -3.4977 / 3°29'51"W
OS Eastings: 293806
OS Northings: 64125
OS Grid: SX938641
Mapcode National: GBR QY.8T3V
Mapcode Global: FRA 37KT.H64
Plus Code: 9C2RFG82+WW
Entry Name: Ilsham Manor Oratory
Listing Date: 20 November 1952
Last Amended: 3 May 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1206789
English Heritage Legacy ID: 390651
Location: Torbay, TQ1
Electoral Ward/Division: Wellswood
Built-Up Area: Torquay
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Torquay St Matthias
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX9364 ILSHAM ROAD, Ilsham
885-1/15/404 (East side)
20/11/52 Ilsham Manor Oratory
(Formerly Listed as:
ILSHAM ROAD, Ilsham
Chapel at Ilsham Manor)
Premonstratensian oratory. C15 or earlier. Local grey
limestone rubble with Beerstone dressings; gabled slate roof.
PLAN: 3-stage tower with undercroft; first-floor oratory and
probably second-floor chamber originally with ladder access
from the oratory.
EXTERIOR: 3 stages. South-east side has a ground-floor doorway
to the undercroft to the left: modern lintel, shoulder-headed
frame and door. To the right a flight of external stone steps
leads up to the oratory door which has a timber lintel and a
probably C15 recessed shoulder-headed pegged oak doorframe and
C20 plank door. Shadow of gable above door may indicate former
porch hood or, alternatively, abutting building. Small
round-headed slit window above to the right lights chamber
over oratory. Crude segmental-headed bellcote on gable. Left
return has two 1-light windows, one to ground floor and one to
second floor room. Arched second-floor window has remains of
decayed, cusped tracery and a hoodmould, ground-floor window
similar, without a hoodmould. Right return has similar
second-floor window; one chamfered round-headed slit window to
the oratory stage and a chamfered slit to the undercroft.
The north-west face has a good Perpendicular 2-light window
with a relieving arch, moulded frame, mullion and hoodmould
and trefoil-headed cusped lights. Round-headed slit window to
right. Smaller chamber window above, very decayed but formerly
trefoil-headed with a square-headed hoodmould, flanked by
small round-headed slit windows.
INTERIOR: Undercroft not seen. Oratory has late C19 or C20
roof and splayed, hollow-chamfered segmental-headed reveals to
the larger windows. Roof of oratory missing except for one
HISTORY: Lands in Ilsham were given to the Premonstratensian
Abbey of Torre in c1200 (Ellis) or 1489 (Pevsner). In the late
C19 the tower stood surrounded by farmbuildings (the remnants
of some still survive), with the manor house to its
south-west. The Premonstratensian order was required to
establish the building of oratories at their granges by Pope
Gregory IX for individual members as places of retirement and
a chapel at Higher Alfardisworthy, near Bradworthy, is said to
be similar in function. Ellis includes late C19 drawings and
photographs of the building.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1952-1989:
P.861; Ellis CA: An Historical Survey of Torquay, 2nd edition:
Listing NGR: SX9380664125
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings