This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.4627 / 50°27'45"N
Longitude: -3.5246 / 3°31'28"W
OS Eastings: 291886
OS Northings: 63653
OS Grid: SX918636
Mapcode National: GBR QX.362R
Mapcode Global: FRA 37HT.YGP
Entry Name: Parish Church of St John the Evangelist
Listing Date: 20 November 1952
Last Amended: 3 May 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1206814
English Heritage Legacy ID: 390716
Location: Torbay, TQ1
Electoral Ward/Division: Wellswood
Built-Up Area: Torquay
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Torquay St John
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX9163 MONTPELLIER ROAD
885-1/17/187 (North side)
20/11/52 Parish Church of St John the
(Formerly Listed as:
Church of St John the Evangelist)
Parish church. 1861-73 to the designs of GE Street, west tower
completed 1884-85 by AE Street to his father's designs. Lady
chapel decorated 1888 by JD Sedding (Pevsner). Local grey
crazed limestone with Ham Hill dressings; slate roof; pierced
crested ridge tiles. Description approximate as interior and
exterior scaffolded on survey for major repair scheme.
PLAN: Chancel with south Lady chapel; nave with clerestory
above 5-bay south aisle; south-west 4-stage tower.
EXTERIOR: 2-bay chancel with lower roof than nave and flying
buttresses on the south side. Two 2-light Geometric Decorated
windows with a cinquefoil with a roundel in the head. Lean-to
chapel between buttresses with two 3-light Decorated windows
with head trefoils. South aisle has a moulded string at sill
level, a corbel table and five 2-light Geometric Decorated
traceried windows. Moulded-arched doorway in eastern bay with
toothed moulding. Buttressed nave with 4 clerestory windows of
4 lancets under superordinate arches.
Striking saddleback tower to west with a triple chamfered
doorway and inner doorway with detached shafts. Triple lancet
window above doorway, above that blind recesses contain slit
windows. High transomed richly-moulded belfry window with
pairs of trefoil-headed lights above and below the transom.
Rose window in gable of tower.
INTERIOR: Spectacular, high quality interior. Internal walls
unplastered. 5-bay arcades with clustered shafts of banded
local polished limestone; stone-vaulted chancel with moulded
ribs and polychromatic banding to the infill. Chancel enriched
with mosaics: trefoil-headed frame to reredos with carved
figures by Earp in deep relief; chancel walls with blind
marble arcading; marble and tile flooring.
Copies of original Burne Jones paintings on north and south
walls; exceptionally fine 1865 Morris and Company east window;
wrought-iron and brass sanctuary rail; chancel screen also of
wrought-iron and brass with gabled arch into chancel;
wrought-iron screen between chancel and south chapel.
Nave fittings include octagonal freestone and local marble
pulpit with mosaic inlay and a wrought-iron balustrade to the
stairs. Octagonal local limestone and Italian marble font with
trefoil-headed blind panels, mosiacs and a splendid AC Street
wrought-iron font cover on a bracket. Full immersion font in
local Torquay marble. Salviati mosaic panels in nave.
Very fine set of STAINED GLASS: Burne Jones designed west
window, other glass by Clayton & Bell.
HISTORY: "One of the leading centres of late C19
Anglo-Catholicism" (Pevsner). Detailed account of building,
including contractors, craftsmen, costs etc in RJE Boggis,
History of St John's, Torquay (1930).
(Boggis RJE: History of St John's Church, Torquay: 1930-;
Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1952-1989:
Listing NGR: SX9187963659
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings