History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Torquay Station

A Grade II Listed Building in Paignton, Torbay

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.461 / 50°27'39"N

Longitude: -3.5435 / 3°32'36"W

OS Eastings: 290541

OS Northings: 63493

OS Grid: SX905634

Mapcode National: GBR QV.XF6N

Mapcode Global: FRA 37GT.WXB

Entry Name: Torquay Station

Listing Date: 26 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1206832

English Heritage Legacy ID: 390766

Location: Torbay, TQ2

County: Torbay

Electoral Ward/Division: Cockington-with-Chelston

Built-Up Area: Paignton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Cockington St George and St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Torquay

Listing Text


TORQUAY

SX9063 RATHMORE ROAD
885-1/17/2 Torquay Station
26/03/86

GV II

Railway station. 1878, extended in 1912. JE Danks and W
Lancaster-Owen; engineers, Vernon and Ewens of Cheltenham for
the Great Western Railway. Snecked and rock-faced grey
limestone with probably Bathstone dressings including quoins,
stringcourses, eaves cornice and windows. Welsh slate roof
with lead roll hips and ridges; steeply pitched hipped
pavilion roofs with ornate iron cresting. Rendered chimney
stacks. French Chateau style influence.
EXTERIOR: 2 ranges of station buildings, one on either side of
the line. On the west side, a long range containing offices,
entrance, ticket office etc, with a canopy on the outside over
the pavement and a deeper canopy on 11 columns, the last 2
paired under the footbridge. These are signed Vernon & Ewens,
engineers, Cheltenham. There is a similar range on the
opposite side of the line, but of shorter length, its platform
canopy continues beyond the north end but stops short of the
south end. At the south end of each range there is a stair
tower rising to a covered footbridge over the line. The east
range has 4 pavilion roofs where the facade facing the
forecourt breaks forward at intervals; the roofs have
decorative iron cresting, that at the south end has a
clerestory roof against the stair tower behind. The windows
have stone mullioned and transomed frames.
The forecourt canopy is supported on large cast-iron brackets
with foiled spandrels. The deeper canopy over the platform has
a continuous rooflight over cast-iron 4-centred-arched trusses
with entwined foliage spandrels supported on slender fluted
cast-iron columns; the canopy is cantilevered out towards the
line on similarly decorated brackets and has a fretted and
pierced wooden fascia. The canopy was extended in early C20
under the bridge and beyond the south end, and both platform
canopies were extended at the north end in 1912. The west
range and its canopies are similar but shorter.
The 2 stair towers at the south end are linked by a covered
lattice iron girder footbridge over the line, its
superstructure is timber and glazed.
HISTORY: The railway line from Newton Abbot to Torquay was
built by the South Devon Railway Company in 1848 but only
reached Torre station, Newton Road (qv). The line was extended
to Paignton in 1859 when Torquay Station was opened. In 1876
the South Devon Railway was taken over by the Great Western
Railway who built this station in 1878 to replace the 1859
station.


Listing NGR: SX9054163493

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.