History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Torquay, Torbay

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.4684 / 50°28'6"N

Longitude: -3.5379 / 3°32'16"W

OS Eastings: 290952

OS Northings: 64308

OS Grid: SX909643

Mapcode National: GBR QV.WW3G

Mapcode Global: FRA 37GT.KHH

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 20 November 1952

Last Amended: 3 May 1994

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1206837

English Heritage Legacy ID: 390782

Location: Torbay, TQ2

County: Torbay

Electoral Ward/Division: Tormohun

Built-Up Area: Torquay

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Torre All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Torquay

Listing Text


TORQUAY

SX9064 ST EFRIDE'S ROAD
885-1/13/450 (West side)
20/11/52 Church of St Andrew
(Formerly Listed as:
ST ELFRIDES ROAD
Church of St Saviour, Tormohun)

II*

Parish church, now in use by the Greek Orthodox Church. Tower
probably C13; C15 aisles; restored 1849; chancel enlarged 1873
by John Hayward of Exeter. Local grey limestone and red
sandstone rubble (roughcast before 1849), chancel snecked;
slate roof; some granite windows.
PLAN: Nave; chancel; north and south aisles; west tower;
south-west porch.
EXTERIOR: The C19 chancel has a 3-light traceried east window,
2-light traceried north window; lean-to vestry to south. 4-bay
buttressed north aisle with set-back buttresses at the east
end and 3-light C19 traceried windows. South aisle also
buttressed with 3-light granite Perpendicular traceried
windows and a gabled porch in the western bay with a low
chamfered doorway. Unbuttressed battered west 3-stage tower
with a parapet and plain north-east stair turret to the 2nd
stge. Chamfered west doorway. 3-light Perpendicular granite
traceried west window; 2-light belfry openings.
INTERIOR: inspection not possible but Pevsner refers to an oak
reredos by Hems of Exeter; mahogany bench ends and stained
glass in the style of Clayton & Bell by Wailes. Monument to
Thomas Cary, d.1567 noted by Pevsner as of special interest
combining Perpendicular and early Renaissance detail. c1561
brass to Wilmot Cary. Other monuments to Thomas Ridgeway,
d.1604 and George Cary, d.1758. Minor early C19 wall tablets.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1952-1989:
P.849).


Listing NGR: SX9095264308

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.