This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2587 / 53°15'31"N
Longitude: -2.1304 / 2°7'49"W
OS Eastings: 391396
OS Northings: 373528
OS Grid: SJ913735
Mapcode National: GBR FZKR.KK
Mapcode Global: WHBBP.7CR5
Entry Name: Christ Church
Listing Date: 14 April 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1206916
English Heritage Legacy ID: 390991
Location: Macclesfield, Cheshire East, SK11
County: Cheshire East
Civil Parish: Macclesfield
Built-Up Area: Macclesfield
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: All Saints Macclesfield
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ9173NW GREAT KING STREET
886-1/9/88 (South side)
14/04/49 Christ Church
Church, now maintained by the Redundant Churches Fund. 1775.
Brick with stone dressings. High west tower, galleried nave
expressed as 2 storeys externally, and shallow chancel.
EXTERIOR: high projecting 4-stage west tower with west door in
round-arched Gibbs surround. Elliptical head to window above,
blind window and clock in second stage, paired ogee bell
chamber lights in upper stage. Embattled parapet above
North elevation has central entrance in advanced pedimented
bay. Rusticated stone to this feature, with pedimented Ionic
doorcase and acroteria over the pediment. 3 windows each side
of the entrance on each level, each with elliptical head and
interlace glazing, in moulded stone architrave.
South elevation has 7 similar windows to each level. Shallow
chancel has Palladian east window, with doorway each side.
Round-arched doorcases to 6-panelled doors with lunettes over.
High parapet over cornice throughout. Stone plinth and quoins.
INTERIOR: continuous raking gallery curved around north, west
and south, with panelled parapet, and carried on squared
columns, possibly iron encased in timber. Organ on west
gallery. Plain plaster panelling to coved ceiling.
East window in enriched Ionic architrave, with stained glass
dated 1854. Late C18 emblematic stained glass, and late C19
and early C20 pictorial stained glass in north aisle.
Stairs to gallery in lobbies each side to east.
FITTINGS: box pews. Small marble font, a scalloped basin
carried on baluster pedestal, with wooden moulded lid, similar
in style to that in Church of St Michael (qv).
MEMORIALS: series of stone wall memorials, including memorial
to Charles Roe by Bacon, signed and dated 1784. Black and
white marble, with inscribed tablet surmounted by obelisk
against which a figure in low relief carries a bust of Roe,
and representations of the church which he endowed, his silk
mill and copper works.
Listing NGR: SJ9139673528
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings