History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bampton House and Attached Gate Piers and Gateway

A Grade II Listed Building in Minehead, Somerset

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2046 / 51°12'16"N

Longitude: -3.4801 / 3°28'48"W

OS Eastings: 296696

OS Northings: 146078

OS Grid: SS966460

Mapcode National: GBR LJ.486K

Mapcode Global: VH5JY.MZLG

Entry Name: Bampton House and Attached Gate Piers and Gateway

Listing Date: 4 July 1952

Last Amended: 30 September 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1206961

English Heritage Legacy ID: 391127

Location: Minehead, Somerset West and Taunton, Somerset, TA24

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset

Civil Parish: Minehead

Built-Up Area: Minehead

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Minehead

Listing Text


MINEHEAD

SS9646 BAMPTON STREET
900-1/3/2 (West side)
04/07/52 No.8
Bampton House and attached gate
piers and gateway
(Formerly Listed as:
BAMPTON STREET
(West side)
No.8
Bampton House including yard gateway
to right)

GV II

House. Early C18, altered C19 and 1992. Rendered rubble with
slate roofs and brick stacks. Double-depth plan. 2 storeys
with attic; 6-window range. 1992 paired 6/6-pane sash windows,
2 to the left and 3 to the right of the door. Rusticated
quoins. The C19 central pedimented gable has a tall
semicircular-arched window with a cast-iron balustrade to the
lower part, raised voussoirs and a mask keystone. To the right
a wide segmental-arched carriage entrance with a lion's head
to the centre and tiled coping is flanked by piers with
pineapple finials. To the first floor of the right return is a
late C19 oriel window. Rusticated quoins not visible, covered
by rendering.
INTERIOR is in the process of being altered to accommodation
for people with special needs, the staircase etc has been
removed.
HISTORY: this is thought to be part of the property leased by
Samuel Hayman from Colonel Francis Luttrell in 1683. A
description exists of a good tenement in Friday Street having
a large court and a planked storehouse and two lofts above, a
bakehouse and a stable, with other property and land in
Bampton Street.
(Binding H: Minehead: A New History: Minehead: 1977-: 175).


Listing NGR: SS9669646078

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.