This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.9225 / 54°55'21"N
Longitude: -1.4432 / 1°26'35"W
OS Eastings: 435783
OS Northings: 558792
OS Grid: NZ357587
Mapcode National: GBR V2J.G6
Mapcode Global: WHD54.SJYN
Entry Name: Hylton Castle
Listing Date: 25 February 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1207073
English Heritage Legacy ID: 391434
Location: Sunderland, SR5
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Sunderland
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: North Wearside
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ35NE CRAIGAVON ROAD
920-1/4/54 (East side)
25/02/49 Hylton Castle
(Formerly Listed as:
WASHINGTON ROAD, Castletown
Fortified tower-house in form of gatehouse. c1400. For Sir
William Hylton. Extensively altered in early C18 for John
Hylton who altered windows, added N wing, reconstructed
interior. His son John added S wing. 1860s wings demolished,
most windows altered and inside altered for William Briggs.
Mid C20 consolidation and restoration of shell for Ministry of
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, 3 windows, in bays defined by turrets.
Steps up to central doorway of C19 pointed arch on nookshafts
with stone balcony above to 3-light window of 2-storey hall
recessed behind segmental arch to battlements; heraldic
devices to right of second-floor window and on turret to left.
Flanking turrets have blind panel to right of door, lancets
above, and small square openings below machicolated
battlements. Side bays have 3-light ground-floor windows and
paired lights on upper floors below machicolated parapets.
Angle turrets, without openings, have similar parapets. All
front windows 1860s lancets, blocked on first floor and empty
on second floor. Left return has one door in largely
reconstructed wall; right return has 2-storey square
projecting bay window of 1860, single first-floor and paired
second-floor medieval lancets. Rear elevation has projecting
central tower with windows on 5 floors, which were probably
2-storey chapel through first and second, with chambers over
and stair at left. C18 Gothic screens on ground and first
floors, now blocked; medieval lancets above, with large
heraldic achievement at centre on second floor which has arms
and crest of Sir William Hylton below Richard II badge of
white hart. Right bay has medieval windows on upper floors.
Machicolated parapets between corner turrets and central
tower, altered parapet to tower. No roof.
INTERIOR: shows lower courses of ground floor partition walls
on restored ground level; all floors removed except in rear
tower which has medieval pointed-arched door to stair in use
to upper floors. Oven in wall thickness at SE corner;
portcullis slot over door; traces of ground floor vaults;
medieval door and fireplace detail; roof truss corbels with
carving; stone bench to embrasure of W window of first-floor
chamber. Rear tower has diagonal chamfer stops and shouldered
lintels to doors; chambers over chapel have original hooded
fireplaces with corbelled chamfered jambs and eroded chamfer
Scheduled Ancient Monument.
(Official Handbooks: Morley BM: Hylton Castle, Tyne and Wear:
Listing NGR: NZ3578358790
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.