This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.904 / 54°54'14"N
Longitude: -1.3881 / 1°23'17"W
OS Eastings: 439336
OS Northings: 556759
OS Grid: NZ393567
Mapcode National: GBR VBS.8Q
Mapcode Global: WHD55.NZ6W
Plus Code: 9C6WWJ36+JQ
Entry Name: Galen Building with steps, walls and railings attached
Listing Date: 17 October 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1207084
English Heritage Legacy ID: 391467
Location: Sunderland, SR1
Electoral Ward/Division: Millfield
Built-Up Area: Sunderland
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Millfield St Mark
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ3956NW GREEN TERRACE
920-1/19/94 (East side)
Galen Building with steps, walls and
(Formerly listed as Galen Building Sunderland
Polytechnic with steps, walls and railings attached)
Formerly known as: Technical College HIND STREET.
Technical college, in use as a polytechnic building
at the time of listing, with steps, piers, walls and railings
attached. Dated 1900 and, on right
return, 1928. Foundation stone 1899, opened 1901, with
provision made for extension on site. By AW Hennings of Potts,
Son and Hennings. Flemish bond bright red brick with yellow
terracotta quoins, strings and dressings; roof of plain tiled
with terracotta cresting; steel and concrete floors. C17
EXTERIOR: basement and 2 storeys, 1:2:3:2:1 windows; right 4
storey one-window tower. Main block has parapet with ogee
pediments over projecting 2-window sections. Steps up to
elaborate porch at right of main block: double panelled doors
and overlight in keyed architrave, high plinth to columns in
antis supporting entablature with low-relief `TECHNICAL
COLLEGE' in terracotta; shaped parapet above has scrolled
pediment over borough arms. Ogee-moulded mullion and transom
windows except central 3 on first floor which are round-headed
with keyed architraves on impost string and have Renaissance
ornament to aprons; all sashes with upper glazing bars. Floor
and sill cornices; eaves cornice, on modillions in projecting
sections. Tower has 3-light basement window, round-headed
ground-floor window with casements below radiating glazing
bars of transom light, 4-light mullion and transom in third
stage and bracketed clock in top stage with paired pilasters
with free Corinthian capitals supporting entablature and
parapet with panelled corners and central cartouches. High
hipped roof has low, corniced dormers with glazing bars; high
ridge plinth with dentils and swan-neck pediments supporting
domed arcaded lantern. Tower has raised dome.
WALLS & RAILINGS: piers, dwarf walls and railings attached:
rusticated square red sandstone piers, each with pulvinated
frieze, ogee coping and ball finial; stone steps to porch and
at left end. Brick walls from porch to left steps and
returning on right to enclose entire right return have
chamfered red sanstone coping; spike-headed wrought-iron
railings on walls have scrolled stays and intermediate panels
to section around front and tower; plainer beyond these on
Built under powers granted to Local Authorities by the Local
Taxation (Customs and Excise) Act of 1890 to draw on central
funds for technical education.
(Spotlight: Potts G: Sunderland: 7).
Listing NGR: NZ3933656759
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings