History in Structure

Tulketh Mill

A Grade II Listed Building in Preston, Lancashire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.7724 / 53°46'20"N

Longitude: -2.7242 / 2°43'27"W

OS Eastings: 352366

OS Northings: 430912

OS Grid: SD523309

Mapcode National: GBR T64.LQ

Mapcode Global: WH85M.4F1W

Plus Code: 9C5VQ7CG+W8

Entry Name: Tulketh Mill

Listing Date: 20 December 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1207235

English Heritage Legacy ID: 391890

ID on this website: 101207235

Location: Cadley, Preston, Lancashire, PR2

County: Lancashire

District: Preston

Electoral Ward/Division: Tulketh

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Preston

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Preston St Cuthbert

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Tagged with: Mill

Find accommodation in



941-1/1/17 (East side)
Tulketh Mill


Cotton mill, now mail-order warehouse and offices. 1905. Cast-iron columns, steel beams, concrete floors, with cladding of red brick and some yellow brick, asphalt roof (currently under repair with composition coating). Very large rectangular plan on north-south axis, plus: staircase and sprinkler tower on west side, office block in angle south of this, stair-turret at north-west corner, extractor duct turret at south-east corner, and large engine house attached at right-angles to main range on the north side of this. Five storeys over basement, 4 x 12 bays, with pilasters between the bays (panelled at the top stage), and a parapet with upstands over the pilasters; large rectangular windows filling each bay on each floor, all with 11-pane glazing and 3-course yellow brick heads (those at the top floor linked in a continuous band). The tower (between the 6th and 9th bays from the south end), has a shallow 3-storey toilet block projected on the west side, with a ramped parapet, but is otherwise square, with pilastered corners, and rises 2 stages above the roof of the mill, with a cornice between the upper and lower of these, the upper having .3 yellow bands, a keyed oculus and large white brick lettering "TULKETH" in each side; and a squat octagonal spire clad with red tiles. The office block south of the tower, a rectangular flat-roofed single-storey range, has yellow bands, a cornice raised as a pediment over a round-headed doorway to the left,
a canted bay window at the south end, 3 windows between these,
and a parapet with a panel in the centre lettered "OFFICES".
The north-west turret has 2 windows on each floor, those in the side staggered. The south-east turret has blind windows. The engine house, 3 storeys, 7 x 3 bays, has square windows, tall round-headed windows with keystones and radiating glazing bars, and keyed oculi, on successive levels. Base of west tower has foundation stone laid by Mayoress Mrs Margerison, May 1905. INTERIOR: former engine house has substant:ial remains of cream and green patterned glazed tiling.

Listing NGR: SD5236630912

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.