History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

12,13,14, Bank Parade

A Grade II Listed Building in Preston, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7535 / 53°45'12"N

Longitude: -2.6963 / 2°41'46"W

OS Eastings: 354185

OS Northings: 428800

OS Grid: SD541288

Mapcode National: GBR TBD.XZ

Mapcode Global: WH85M.KX8B

Entry Name: 12,13,14, Bank Parade

Listing Date: 27 September 1979

Last Amended: 20 December 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1207241

English Heritage Legacy ID: 391899

Location: Preston, Lancashire, PR1

County: Lancashire

District: Preston

Town: Preston

Electoral Ward/Division: Town Centre

Built-Up Area: Preston

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Preston St John and St George the Martyr

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Preston

Listing Text


PRESTON

SD5428NW BANK PARADE
941-1/14/26 (North side)
27/09/79 Nos.12, 13 AND 14
(Formerly Listed as:
BANK PARADE
Nos.1-14 (Consecutive))

GV II

Terrace of 3 town houses. Mid to later C19; altered. Sandstone
ashlar, slate roof. Double-depth plan, each house
single-fronted and with a back extension. Two storeys with
cellars and attics, each house 2 bays; plinth, 1st-floor
sill-band, bracketed cornice with low blocking course; raised
rusticated quoins at left and right ends. Nos.12 and 13 built
as a reflected pair with doorways flanking a shared
through-lobby, No.14 with doorway in 2nd bay. The doorways, up
3 steps, have moulded architraves with cornices on consoles,
recessed doors (panelled at Nos.12 and 14, altered at No.13)
with rectangular overlights (that at No.12 with margin panes);
the lobby doorway between Nos.12 and 13 has a panelled lintel
with a cornice, and an unglazed overlight with ornamental iron
openwork. At ground floor each house has a rectangular bay
window composed of square columns which have capitals with
anthemion enrichment, entablature with plain frieze and
dentilled cornice, panelled aprons to the lights (2 lights at
Nos.12 and 13, 3 lights at No.14), and sashes without glazing
bars (except No.13 which has altered glazing). All windows at
1st floor are sashed without glazing bars and have moulded
architraves with cornices, those above the doors with
consoles. Inserted attic dormers; ridge chimneys, those at
Nos.12 and 13 with bracketed cornices. History: No.13 was the
home of Joseph Livesey, (1794-1884), the pioneer of the
teetotal movement.


Listing NGR: SD5419228806

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.