History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Wilfrid

A Grade II* Listed Building in Preston, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7573 / 53°45'26"N

Longitude: -2.7027 / 2°42'9"W

OS Eastings: 353765

OS Northings: 429221

OS Grid: SD537292

Mapcode National: GBR T9F.QS

Mapcode Global: WH85M.GT6G

Entry Name: Church of St Wilfrid

Listing Date: 27 September 1979

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1207254

English Heritage Legacy ID: 391946

Location: Preston, Lancashire, PR1

County: Lancashire

Electoral Ward/Division: Town Centre

Built-Up Area: Preston

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Preston St John and St George the Martyr

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Preston

Listing Text


PRESTON

SD5329SE CHAPEL STREET
941-1/11/67 (East side)
27/09/79 Church of St Wilfrid

GV II*

Roman Catholic church. 1793, rebuilt 1879-80 by Ignatius
Scoles and S.J.Nichols. Red brick with much buff terracotta
cladding and dressings, slate roof. Nave on north-south axis,
with east and west aisles, east chapels and south apse.
Italian basilica style. Six-bay nave embraced by tall aisles.
High plinth dressed with sandstone, then rusticated terracotta
to ground floor level, with bands, frieze and cornice of
matching material. The gabled tripartite north front, the
centre breaking forwards slightly, has a large round-headed
doorway with very elaborate terracotta surround including
tympanum with reliefs, and flanking side doors in similar
style; a large circular window near the top flanked by
monograms and under an enriched pediment, and windows to the
tops of the aisles, of 2 round-headed lights, all these with
elaborate terracotta surrounds. The west side has high-set
round-headed windows with similarly elaborate surrounds.
INTERIOR: basilica form, with colonnades of massive Corinthian
columns in polished red marble mounted on square plinths of
black marble; coffered barrel-vaulted ceiling; marble cladding
to the walls and apse, in various hues, including giant
Corinthian pilasters; mosaic portraits of saints over arcade
to chapel; canted north gallery with ornamental cast-iron
balustrade.

Listing NGR: SD5376529221

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.