This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7584 / 53°45'30"N
Longitude: -2.697 / 2°41'49"W
OS Eastings: 354142
OS Northings: 429340
OS Grid: SD541293
Mapcode National: GBR TB9.8Y
Mapcode Global: WH85M.JSXM
Plus Code: 9C5VQ853+95
Entry Name: The Old Bull, including nos. 141 and 142 Church Street
Listing Date: 12 June 1950
Last Amended: 20 December 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1207263
English Heritage Legacy ID: 391964
Location: City Centre, Preston, Lancashire, PR1
Electoral Ward/Division: Town Centre
Built-Up Area: Preston
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Preston St John and St George the Martyr
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 17/04/2014
CHURCH STREET (South side),
The Old Bull
(Formerly listed as The Bull and Royal Hotel.
Previously listed as: The Bull and Royal Hotel, Nos.140 AND 140A CHURCH STREET)
Formerly known as The Bull and Royal Hotel, previously known as The White Bull.
Includes: Nos.141 AND 142 CHURCH STREET.
Inn and hotel, with attached assembly room; now shops, hostel, billiard club. Mid C18, enlarged and remodelled at various times, with assembly room of 1773 by John Hird for the Earl of Derby. Stucco and brick with sandstone dressings, all painted; slate roof. Deep irregular plan comprised of double-depth front range in 2 portions with carriage entry at junction, long rear wing flanking former yard (now filled by C20 additions), and assembly room attached at right-angles to south-west corner of this. Four storeys, 4+4 windows, with rusticated ground floor (except Nos 141 and 142 to right), and modillioned eaves. The carriage entry has an elliptical archway with imposts and rusticated voussoirs; Nos 141 and 142 (shops) share a mid-C19 shop opening which has coupled pilasters terminating in moulded consoles, a frieze of triglyphs and metopes, and an ornamental wrought-iron balcony. Otherwise, the ground floor has 4 sashes without glazing bars, 1st floor has similar windows, 2nd floor has 12-pane sashes and 3rd floor has square 6-pane sashes. Ridge and gable chimney stacks. The Assembly Room, (known as the Derby Room), has a Venetian window at 1st floor of the south wall. The INTERIOR of is a double cube with opposed Venetian openings in the centre of each long side (doorway in north, window in south) with fluted Ionic columns and enriched frieze, opposed doorways in the corners of each end wall (those at west end false), with moulded architraves and dentilled cornices, a small unsupported musicians' gallery with panelled front and rounded corners at the east end; and very elaborate Rococo decoration including moulded plaster panels with trophies, urns etc, scrolled foliation between the panels, triglyph frieze with deer masks, and coved panelled ceiling.
Front range of item forms group with No.143 attached at right-hand end.
Listing NGR: SD5413829329
Other nearby listed buildings