This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.0396 / 54°2'22"N
Longitude: -1.6558 / 1°39'20"W
OS Eastings: 422640
OS Northings: 460454
OS Grid: SE226604
Mapcode National: GBR JPWQ.BP
Mapcode Global: WHC85.JQRK
Plus Code: 9C6W28QV+RM
Entry Name: Hardcastle Garth
Listing Date: 6 March 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1207473
English Heritage Legacy ID: 331208
Location: Hartwith cum Winsley, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG3
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Hartwith cum Winsley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
HARTWITH-CUM-WINSLEY B 6165
SE 26 SW (south side, off)
9/79 Hardcastle Garth
House and cross wing, now 2 houses. Dated 1666 and 1703. For members of
the Hardcastle family. Coursed squared gritstone, graduated stone slate
roofs. The 2 houses form an L-plan: the northern house being earlier and of
2 storeys and 3 bays with probably lobby-entry plan, and the west wing of 2
storeys and 3 bays but an end stack plan. Both have plinth and quoins.
Northern house: studded board door to right of centre bay in moulded quoined
surround with deep lintel cut to shallow Tudor-style arch on which the
inscription 'I 1666 H' is cut in raised letters on a 3-part panel. Far
left: probably a 4-light recessed-chamfered mullion window, converted to a
door mid C18 and reformed as a window C19 or C20. 4- and 3-light recessed-
chamfered mullion windows flank door; 3 similar 3-light windows to first
floor and single-light trefoil-headed window above door. Continuous
hoodmould over ground-floor windows with label stop to right; left end
obscured by later attached wing. Large ridge stack above door, stepped
external stack to left gable, end stack right. West wing, east front:
centred half-glazed 4-panel door under 4-central pointed arch w:Lth cyma
moulding to lintel and jambs. Incised inscription on lintel: ' H '
Door flanked by 4-light (now 3-light) double-chamfered mullion windows.
Three 2-light windows to first floor, mullions removed; central window
probably inserted, far right formerly of 3 lights. Continuous hoodmould to
ground floor. Shaped kneelers, gable coping, corniced end stacks. Interior
not inspected at resurvey. The later house was probably built as a wing of
the 1666 house, the service rooms being only in the earlier house, with
internal access between. B Jennings (Ed), A History of Nidderdale, 1867, p
116 etc. North Yorkshire and Cleveland Vernacular Building Study Group
Report No 176, (1975).
Listing NGR: SE2264060454
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings