History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Vicarage

A Grade II Listed Building in Paignton, Torbay

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.4303 / 50°25'48"N

Longitude: -3.5999 / 3°35'59"W

OS Eastings: 286462

OS Northings: 60156

OS Grid: SX864601

Mapcode National: GBR QR.DBRX

Mapcode Global: FRA 37BX.KC3

Entry Name: The Old Vicarage

Listing Date: 25 October 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1207529

English Heritage Legacy ID: 383771

Location: Torbay, TQ3

County: Torbay

Electoral Ward/Division: Blatchcombe

Built-Up Area: Paignton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Collaton St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Paignton

Listing Text


PAIGNTON

SX86SE BLAGDON ROAD, Collaton St Mary
1947-1/2/175 (North East side)
The Old Vicarage

GV II

Rectory, now in use as house and offices. 1864, to the designs
of Rowell of Newton Abbot for the Reverend Hogg. Free Gothic
style.
MATERIALS: Local red snecked breccia with Bathstone dressings;
slate roof; stacks with stone shafts with freestone caps.
PLAN: Sited immediately east of and contemporary with the
parish church of St Mary (qv). Deep rectangular plan, entrance
elevation faces east, garden elevation to south, service rooms
to west, staircase opens off hall on north side.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 3-window front, with 2
gables to the front at either end (left-hand bay slightly set
back), with scalloped bargeboards. Central entrance bay with a
steep pyramidal roof and diagonal buttress with coped set-offs
to the left. Stone-framed window and door openings have
relieving arches or voussoirs; windows are glazed with
probably original plate-glass 2-pane sashes. Double chamfered
front doorway with a cranked arch. Original 6-panel front door
with crank arched panels above the middle rail; deep
crank-arched overlight.
The left-hand bay has a shallow projecting stack with coped
set-offs. 2-light ground floor window right with chamfered
stopped lintels, similar first floor window above with
shouldered lights; 2-light window above door with 2-centred
arched lights.
3-bay garden elevation, with a gabled projection in the
centre. Two 2-pane sashes to the left, 3 shoulder-headed
arched windows to the projection; single-storey canted bay to
the right with high transomed windows and timber corbel course
to support guttering, a design repeated on the contemporary
parish church. 2-light first-floor windows, the left-hand with
a cranked head in a gabled dormer; slit window in central
gable. The west end has 2 gables to the west and is in the
same style with similar windows including a first floor stair
window to the service stair.
North elevation consists of 3 staggered gabled blocks, similar
glazing to other elevations except the left-hand stair
projection has a fine 2-light stair window with trefoil-headed
lights and a trefoil below the sill. Service door into
right-hand block.
INTERIOR: Not seen in detail on survey but known to retain
original chimney-pieces, joinery and stair.
Part of an 1860s group comprising church, rectory and school,
all promoted and partly funded by the Reverend Hogg to
commemorate his daughter. Included for group value.


Listing NGR: SX8646260156

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.