This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4558 / 51°27'20"N
Longitude: -2.5813 / 2°34'52"W
OS Eastings: 359708
OS Northings: 173137
OS Grid: ST597731
Mapcode National: GBR CCJ.4Z
Mapcode Global: VH88N.6NRV
Entry Name: Kingsley Hall
Listing Date: 8 January 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1207565
English Heritage Legacy ID: 380059
Location: Bristol, BS2
Electoral Ward/Division: Lawrence Hill
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Bristol St Philip and St Jacob with Emmanuel
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST5973SE OLD MARKET STREET, Old Market
901-1/12/1650 (South side)
House, now offices. Dated 1706, restored late C19. Brick-clad
timber-frame with limestone dressings, brick end stack and
paired hipped pantile roofs. Double-depth plan. Early Georgian
style. 3 storeys; 4-window range.
The ground floor is set back beneath the overhanging upper
storeys, supported on five 3/4 columns with flared capitals
and cast pedestals, and projecting one window's depth above
the pavement: above a moulded timber beam, Flemish-bond brick
with yellow headers and red stretchers, rusticated quoins to a
cornice, first-floor drip, and C20 parapet. C19 shop front has
half-glazed doors with margin- and overlights, and windows
with glazing bars; upper windows have brick arches with keys
above bolection-moulded architraves to 6/6-pane horned sashes.
In the middle below the drip is a panel inscribed 1706.
INTERIOR: largely remodelled mid C20; dogleg stair with
quarter landings and turned balusters. The only Bristol
example of a style of urban architecture more common in SW
towns such as the Butterwalks in Dartmouth and Totnes.
Listing NGR: ST5970873137
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings