This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.4386 / 50°26'18"N
Longitude: -3.5715 / 3°34'17"W
OS Eastings: 288497
OS Northings: 61038
OS Grid: SX884610
Mapcode National: GBR QT.RS1K
Mapcode Global: FRA 37DW.QF1
Entry Name: Southfield Methodist Church and Chapel House
Listing Date: 10 January 1975
Last Amended: 25 October 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1207582
English Heritage Legacy ID: 383776
Location: Torbay, TQ3
Electoral Ward/Division: Roundham-with-Hyde
Built-Up Area: Paignton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Paignton St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX8861 CECIL ROAD
1947-1/4/90 (East side)
10/01/75 Southfield Methodist Church and
(Formerly Listed as:
Bible Christian Chapel and Chapel
Independent chapel of 1823 and caretaker's house of c1830s.
Bible Christian chapel since 1884, alterations of 1901
MATERIALS: Local red breccia rubble, front elevation and
chapel house rendered. Slate roofs, chapel roof hipped at ends
with false gable to front.
PLAN: Rectangular plan to 2-bay chapel, entrance front to
Southfield Road, end backing on to Colley End Road.
Double-depth chapel house adjoins at NE side and projects to
EXTERIOR: 3-bay front elevation to chapel with 1901 narthex
across front. Deep eaves and verges on paired brackets.
Chapel in Gothic style has central 3-light window with
intersecting tracery flanked by taller similar windows, all
with plain stuccoed bands round the heads of the windows. Band
of incised lettering 'Bible Christian Chapel' over centre
window. Narthex has very shallow central porch with tall gable
with cross finial, arched doorway with hoodmould and plank
door. Porch flanked by trefoil-headed one-light timber windows
with hoodmoulds. Outer bays of narthex are gabled with
bargeboards and roundel windows with plain proud architraves.
Left return and rear wall of chapel has 2 tall arched windows
with Y tracery.
Chapel House is 3 storeys with a 2-window front. Deep eaves on
paired moulded brackets. Recessed C20 front door to right,
similar front door to right return. Windows glazed with C20
small-pane sashes including a tripartite sash on the ground
floor of the front elevation.
INTERIOR: Plain ceiling with round ventilation grilles.
Brattished timber frontal to preaching gallery has blind
arches with keyblocks. C19 benches with shaped ends. C19 white
marble wall monuments, the earliest dating from c1849.
HISTORY: Noted by Pevsner as the oldest Nonconformist chapel
in the area.
(Buildings of England: Cherry B and Pevsner N: Devon: London:
Listing NGR: SX8849761038
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings