History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St Martin

A Grade II Listed Building in Torquay, Torbay

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.4903 / 50°29'25"N

Longitude: -3.5405 / 3°32'25"W

OS Eastings: 290816

OS Northings: 66745

OS Grid: SX908667

Mapcode National: GBR QV.VFZH

Mapcode Global: FRA 37GR.QGX

Entry Name: Parish Church of St Martin

Listing Date: 3 May 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1207876

English Heritage Legacy ID: 390488

Location: Torbay, TQ2

County: Torbay

Electoral Ward/Division: Shiphay-with-the-Willows

Built-Up Area: Torquay

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Torquay St Martin Barton

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Coffinswell

Listing Text


TORQUAY

SX96NW BARTON HILL ROAD, Barton
885-1/2/321 (West side)
Parish Church of St Martin

II

Parish church. 1938 to the designs of NF Cachemaille Day.
Plastered on brick footings; slate roofs. Neo-Romanesque
style.
PLAN: Nave with west end baptistry; chancel with 3-bay aisles
and 2-bay south organ chamber; north-east tower; east end Lady
Chapel.
EXTERIOR: North side show front with no chancel/nave division.
Projecting tower, rectangular on plan, adjoins chancel;
lower-roofed Lady Chapel to east. Nave with parapet has 8
high-set round-headed aisle windows recessed behind a
colonnade of columns supporting brick arches. Round-headed
doorway to east of nave with recessed brick arch and original
2-leaf timber door with vertical roll mouldings which are
repeated as glazing bars in the fanlight. 2-leaf door at west
end of nave in lower-roofed west end baptistry block.
3-stage tower has 3 sets of triple round-headed windows on
north side, the upper set louvred belfry windows. East return
of tower decorated with massive relief sculpture of the
Crucifixion.
North side of Lady Chapel with ribbon of 5 round-headed
windows divided by columns. East end of Lady Chapel breaks
forward with one round-headed window. Blocked round-headed
doorways in set-back bays to left and right.
INTERIOR: Flat-roofed with no nave/chancel division. Aisle and
organ chamber bays with brick columns, star-shaped on plan.
Plain 3-bay arcade into baptistry, which is top-lit. Massive
baldacchino to sanctuary with 4 round-headed arches and gabled
roof on 4 columns with Byzantine capitals. Baldacchino gilded
with reliefs of censing angels. Low, solid chancel screen,
semicircular on plan. Wall between sanctuary and Lady Chapel
pierced by 3 round-headed glazed arches. Pulpit, round on
plan, projects out of north wall with access via concealed
stairs. Torquay marble font. Lady Chapel has massive gilded
corona lucis and abstract stained glass in east window.
Baptistry stained glass of 1959.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1952-1989:
P.850).


Listing NGR: SX9081666745

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


TORQUAY

SX96NW BARTON HILL ROAD, Barton
885-1/2/321 (West side)
Parish Church of St Martin

II

Parish church. 1938 to the designs of NF Cachemaille Day.
Plastered on brick footings; slate roofs. Neo-Romanesque
style.
PLAN: Nave with west end baptistry; chancel with 3-bay aisles
and 2-bay south organ chamber; north-east tower; east end Lady
Chapel.
EXTERIOR: North side show front with no chancel/nave division.
Projecting tower, rectangular on plan, adjoins chancel;
lower-roofed Lady Chapel to east. Nave with parapet has 8
high-set round-headed aisle windows recessed behind a
colonnade of columns supporting brick arches. Round-headed
doorway to east of nave with recessed brick arch and original
2-leaf timber door with vertical roll mouldings which are
repeated as glazing bars in the fanlight. 2-leaf door at west
end of nave in lower-roofed west end baptistry block.
3-stage tower has 3 sets of triple round-headed windows on
north side, the upper set louvred belfry windows. East return
of tower decorated with massive relief sculpture of the
Crucifixion.
North side of Lady Chapel with ribbon of 5 round-headed
windows divided by columns. East end of Lady Chapel breaks
forward with one round-headed window. Blocked round-headed
doorways in set-back bays to left and right.
INTERIOR: Flat-roofed with no nave/chancel division. Aisle and
organ chamber bays with brick columns, star-shaped on plan.
Plain 3-bay arcade into baptistry, which is top-lit. Massive
baldacchino to sanctuary with 4 round-headed arches and gabled
roof on 4 columns with Byzantine capitals. Baldacchino gilded
with reliefs of censing angels. Low, solid chancel screen,
semicircular on plan. Wall between sanctuary and Lady Chapel
pierced by 3 round-headed glazed arches. Pulpit, round on
plan, projects out of north wall with access via concealed
stairs. Torquay marble font. Lady Chapel has massive gilded
corona lucis and abstract stained glass in east window.
Baptistry stained glass of 1959.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1952-1989:
P.850).


Listing NGR: SX9081666745

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.