This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4689 / 50°28'7"N
Longitude: -3.532 / 3°31'55"W
OS Eastings: 291374
OS Northings: 64346
OS Grid: SX913643
Mapcode National: GBR QV.WXVJ
Mapcode Global: FRA 37HT.7V9
Plus Code: 9C2RFF99+G6
Entry Name: The Town Hall
Listing Date: 10 January 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1208247
English Heritage Legacy ID: 390529
Location: Torbay, TQ1
Electoral Ward/Division: Tormohun
Built-Up Area: Torquay
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Torquay St Mary Magdalene (Upton)
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX9164 CASTLE CIRCUS
885-1/14/59 (North West side)
10/01/75 The Town Hall
Town hall. 2 phases. First phase was the Carnegie Public
Library, 1906-7, to the designs of Thomas Davison of London;
contractor RE Narracott of Stoke Gabriel. Second phase of Town
Hall with committee rooms etc, 1910-11; same architect,
contractor R Wilkins of Bristol (Ellis). Snecked local grey
limestone with freestone dressings; slate roof behind parapet;
stacks with stone shafts with moulded cornices and multiple
pots. Edwardian Baroque style.
PLAN: Main block fronts Castle Circus with central entrance
into stair hall with committee rooms above. Principal hall
entered on the right return (Lymington Road); entrance into
former Public Library on corner between Castle Circus and
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and basement; single storey hall. 3-stage
clock tower over entrance. Almost symmetrical 1:5:1:5:1-bay
front; centre and outer bays broken forward with rusticated
quoins; basement masonry rusticated. Projecting cornice with
dentil course below balustraded parapet. Central Doric porch
with 3 columns at each front corner with an entablature with
triglyphs and guttae. First-floor Diocletian stair window with
swags of fruit. Ground-floor windows with Gibbs surrounds with
triple keystones. First-floor windows with moulded architraves
and alternating segmental-headed and gabled open pediments.
Outer bays have round-headed eared niches containing tall
windows with triple keystones. Left-hand window with stained
glass; stone panels with appropriate texts over the niches.
Clock tower has pedimented gabled base supporting a first
stage with triple Ionic columns at the corners with an
entablature. The 2 upper stages are open with angle pilasters
and pinnacles with Baroque finials.
The left (Union Road) elevation, the former library, has a
domed semicircular entrance block, the first floor articulated
with a blind Ionic colonnade with paired columns;
square-headed doorway below. 4-window front to the left.
The Lymington Road elevation has 3 irregular bays to the left
in a similar style and, to the right, the entrance to the main
hall which is 1:3:1 bays, the centre 3 recessed and divided by
triple keystones and text panels above.
The town hall basement is railed off with a good set of
contemporary iron railings including vertical panels with
scrollwork. Pair of fine coeval iron gates to the main porch
incorporating roundels with armorial bearings surrounded by
INTERIOR: Historic features include 2 flights of stairs rising
from the entrance hall, the wells lined with local and Italian
marbles; marble balustrade; coved plaster ceiling to first
floor. Contemporary joinery includes elaborate committee room
doors with overdoors.
The Town Hall forms an important focus to the upper part of
the town at Castle Circus.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1952-1989:
Listing NGR: SX9137464346
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings