History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former British Extracting Company Silo and Attached Receiving House

A Grade II Listed Building in Newland, City of Kingston upon Hull

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7598 / 53°45'35"N

Longitude: -0.3357 / 0°20'8"W

OS Eastings: 509815

OS Northings: 430559

OS Grid: TA098305

Mapcode National: GBR GNH.QM

Mapcode Global: WHGFK.TRBJ

Plus Code: 9C5XQM57+WP

Entry Name: Former British Extracting Company Silo and Attached Receiving House

Listing Date: 15 November 1993

Last Amended: 8 April 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1208698

English Heritage Legacy ID: 387542

Location: Drypool, Kingston upon Hull, HU8

County: City of Kingston upon Hull

Electoral Ward/Division: Newland

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Kingston upon Hull

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Hull, Drypool St Columba

Church of England Diocese: York

Tagged with: Silo

Find accommodation in
Sutton on Hull

Description


KINGSTON UPON HULL

680-1/15/127 FOSTER STREET
15-NOV-93 (West side)
FORMER BRITISH EXTRACTING COMPANY SILO
AND ATTACHED RECEIVING HOUSE

(Formerly listed as:
DALTON STREET
FORMER BRITISH EXRACTING COMPANY SILO
AND ATTACHED RECEIVING HOUSE)

II
Silo at oil extracting mill, and attached receiving house.
1919, by Gelder & Kitchen of Hull. Brick with ashlar
dressings. Roof not visible. Baroque Revival detailing.
Cornice and coped parapet. Pilaster buttresses above the third
floor.
6 storeys plus attics; 11x6 bays. Main block is windowless.
Ground floor has 10 blocked openings to south, and 3
segment-headed glazing bar windows to west. Attic storey has
11 similar windows to north and 6 to west. On the south side,
the parapet has raised lettering reading "British Extracting
Co. Ltd.". At the corners, the pilasters continue above the
cornice to form squat towers, with ashlar bands, caps and
cornices. At the south-west corner, a rusticated ashlar tower,
single stage, with round-arched openings and keystones, topped
with a water tank.
Attached to the south-west corner, a receiving house in the
same style. 4 storeys; 3x3 windows. Projecting corner
pilasters above the second floor, raised above the parapet to
form coped towers. Open ground floor carried on steel joists
and cast-iron columns. To west, 3 segment-headed glazing bar
windows on each floor. To south, similar openings fitted with
ventilators. North side has, to left, a loft door on each
floor, flanked to right by a single window on the first floor
and 2 windows on the upper floors.
INTERIOR is divided by cross walls into storage bins. The
receiving house was used for transferring material from road
and river into the silo.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION
The Former British Extracting Company Silo and Attached Receiving
House, built in 1919 by architects Gelder and Kitchen of Hull, is
designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

* Architectural Quality: It was designed by Hull
architects Gelder and Kitchen using interesting Baroque Revival
detailing.
* Historic Interest: It was built just after WWI as part
of the early C20 British Extracting Company Mill.


External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.