This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.521 / 51°31'15"N
Longitude: -0.1028 / 0°6'10"W
OS Eastings: 531721
OS Northings: 181932
OS Grid: TQ317819
Mapcode National: GBR P8.1Y
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.51HC
Entry Name: College for the Distributive Trades
Listing Date: 26 March 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1208847
English Heritage Legacy ID: 368872
Location: Islington, London, EC1M
Electoral Ward/Division: Clerkenwell
Built-Up Area: Islington
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St James Clerkenwell
Church of England Diocese: London
EAGLE COURT (North side)
College for the Distributive Trades
Former Eagle Court Board School. 1872-4, extended 1894. By the Architect's Department of the London School Board. Brown/beige stock brick set in English bond, with dressings of red brick and stone, roof of Welsh slate. Simplified Queen Anne style.
Two symmetrical U-shaped blocks with a central entrance bay. Two storeys. The Eagle Court front reads as five bays. Two windows to the outer bays; four-window range to the central bay. Left intermediate bay of six windows and right intermediate bay of seven windows. Segmental-arched entrances with window between. All windows with heads of red gauged brick, stone sills and segmental-arched except for ground-floor and mezzanine windows in central bay, which are flat-arched. First-floor windows in outer bays in brick recesses with herringbone brickwork panels beneath. Multi-paned windows of varying widths including sashes, casements and fixed glazing. Red-brick quoins. Brick and stone storey band. Continuous floating cornices to intermediate bays and individual floating cornices to central bay. Parapet to central bays; parapets and gables to intermediate bays; outer bays with gables, all with coping. Intersecting gabled roofs. Exposed brick stacks between intermediate and end gables recently shortened.
Albion Place facade originally read as four bays but now as five: outer and central bays projecting and intermediate bays recessed. Two windows to the outer and intermediate bays. Two-storey C19 bay windows and C20 extension obscures central entrance bay. Segmental, round-arched and square-headed openings of varying widths treated in similar manner to Eagle Court front, but freer. Most other details on rear same as front facade. Exposed brick stack to left intermediate bay where it intersects with central bay. Rear playground encroached upon by C20 outbuildings and extensions.
INTERIOR: former Boys' and Girls' Schools on first floor approached by two separate rear entrances and staircase. Boys' and Girls' school rooms to either side of front centre; recess provides end lighting. Additional classrooms to end and rear intermediate bays. Space beneath Boys' and Girls Schools in ground floor for Infant School and covered playground. Rooms on both floors well preserved and airy with large, unaltered windows.
Eagle Court Board School was one of the first generation of purpose-built Board Schools in London.
(Historians' file, English Heritage London Division).
Listing NGR: TQ3172181932
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings