This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.1739 / 54°10'26"N
Longitude: -3.1723 / 3°10'20"W
OS Eastings: 323576
OS Northings: 475980
OS Grid: SD235759
Mapcode National: GBR 6N95.0J
Mapcode Global: WH72B.7CN2
Entry Name: Tytup Hall
Listing Date: 25 February 1950
Last Amended: 20 December 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1208891
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388364
Location: Dalton Town with Newton, Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA15
Civil Parish: Dalton Town with Newton
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Dalton-in-Furness St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
BARROW IN FURNESS
708-1/1/250 Tytup Hall
(Formerly Listed as:
DALTON ROAD, Ireleth
Small country house. c1710 with early C19 side-wing. For
William Matson. Roughcast over stone, graduated slate roof.
2 storeys with cellar and attic, 5 bays; 2-storey, 3-bay side
wing set back on left. Chamfered quoins. Central doorway has
nosed steps and iron railings with curved handrails; 6-panel
door with integral, 6-pane overlight in eared architrave with
rosette and segmental pediment. 18-pane sashes in raised
ashlar surrounds moulded on their inner edges: 1st-floor
sashes of older appearance with thick glazing bars. Shaped
kneelers with ball finials; ashlar gable copings; truncated
end stacks. Wing on left: sashes with glazing bars to each
floor; small end stack on left and tall stack adjoining the
main house. Rear: nine 18-pane sashes, 2 of which form stair
windows and interrupt a 1st-floor band.
INTERIOR: entrance hall has fluted Corinthian pilasters and
modillioned cornice. Archivolt through to stair hall: 8-panel
doors; staircase with oak treads, panelled dado, wreathed and
ramped handrail. Front-right room: modillioned cornice to
2-panel ceiling; niches flank C20 arch through to rear room.
Front-left has fielded-panel shutters on H/L hinges. Closet
near stairs has fitted cupboard with round-arched doors,
fluted pilasters and dentilled cornice.
1st floor: front-right room panelled and with Corinthian
pilasters and enriched cornice. Front-left room has false
doorway, fireplace flanked by Ionic pilasters, dentilled
cornice. Rear-right room: original painted overmantel
depicting rural scene with man on horseback and 2 attenders on
the approach to a bridge. Back stairs: square and rectangular
newels, turned balusters.
Described as a new house in an agreement of 1713 (Melville).
Later the home of Father Thomas West, a Jesuit and author of
'The Antiquities of Furness' 1774 and 'A Guide to the Lakes'
1778, the former written at Tytup (Holt).
(Trans Cumberland & Westmoreland Antiquarian & Archaeological
Soc: Melville J: The Chronological Record of Tytup Hall: A
re-appraisal: Kendal: 1975-: 258-261).
Listing NGR: SD2357675980
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings