This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4633 / 51°27'47"N
Longitude: -2.5503 / 2°33'1"W
OS Eastings: 361865
OS Northings: 173956
OS Grid: ST618739
Mapcode National: GBR CLG.29
Mapcode Global: VH88N.RH33
Plus Code: 9C3VFC7X+8V
Entry Name: Church of St Ambrose
Listing Date: 4 March 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1209005
English Heritage Legacy ID: 380636
Location: Bristol, BS5
Electoral Ward/Division: St George West
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: East Bristol St Ambrose and St Leonard
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST67SW STRETFORD ROAD, St George
901-1/56/1846 (South side)
04/03/77 Church of St Ambrose
Church. 1912-13. By WV and AR Gough. Squared red Pennant
rubble with limestone dressings and tile roof.
PLAN: aisled nave with S tower and porch.
EXTERIOR: Free Gothic Revival style. Irregular limestone
quoins and rubble arches above the openings. E gable has a
window with Perpendicular-style tracery and blind panels at
the bottom; clasping rubble pilasters with angle buttresses,
terminating in crenellated pinnacles with spirelets, and cross
finial. 9-bay N aisle has 2-light windows linked by hood
bands, separated by buttresses with square, panelled,
crenellated caps. Clerestory has segmental-arched windows and
buttresses to a parapet with crenellated turrets and spirelets
at either end. 2-storey SE chapel has chamfered mullion
windows and a S gable with 3-light windows separated by a wide
string. S aisle as the N.
3-stage tower in the centre of the S side has corner
buttresses and a doorway with rounded reveals; above it a
dragon-head corbel bears a slender, diagonally-set buttress;
louvred belfry windows with blind panelling, corbel table and
a crenellated parapet with pinnacles. W narthex has side
doors, buttresses and a crenellated parapet, and a central
doorway flanked by detached shafts; tripartite
segmental-arched W window, with thick mullions to buttress
pinnacles. Over the chancel arch is an octagonal leaded
lantern with a small dome.
INTERIOR: wide chancel of 3 bays divided by moulded pilasters
on carved corbels. 3 sedilia. 7-bay nave of pointed arches on
shafts with attached shafts to plain capitals, with continuous
half-shafts to the wagon-vaulted nave roof; 3 arches with
rounded reveals lead to the narthex.
FITTINGS: stone pulpit, altar rail and lectern.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 329).
Listing NGR: ST6186573956
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings