This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.5757 / 50°34'32"N
Longitude: -1.2979 / 1°17'52"W
OS Eastings: 449812
OS Northings: 75339
OS Grid: SZ498753
Mapcode National: GBR 8CW.W43
Mapcode Global: FRA 875J.VL1
Entry Name: St Catherine's Lighthouse
Listing Date: 18 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1209275
English Heritage Legacy ID: 392863
Location: Niton and Whitwell, Isle of Wight, PO38
County: Isle of Wight
Civil Parish: Niton and Whitwell
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Isle of Wight
Church of England Parish: Niton St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
NITON AND WHITWELL
SZ47NE ST CATHERINE'S ROAD (OFF)
1353-0/5/233 St Catherine's Lighthouse
Lighthouse. Built 1838-40. Designed by Walker and Burgess and
altered in 1875 when, on account of mist the height was
reduced to 86 feet by the removal of the upper stage and part
of the middle stage. Stuccoed octagonal tower of 2 stages.
Machicolations and castellated parapet surmounted by conical
light and ball finial and weathervane. In 1932 a lower tower
of 2 storeys, reproducing the design of the main lighthouse as
shortened, but with an open arcade on the ground floor, was
added on the south side to mount the foghorn. These 2 towers
are known locally as the Cow and the Calf. To the west of the
main Lighthouse tower is a doorway with the date 1838 over it
and a projection on the ground floor with gable above.
Attached to the east is the Head Lighthouse keeper's house of
1 storey with curved front and round headed window facing
east. This lighthouse was one of the first in the world to be
illuminated by electric light being fitted with it in 1888.
This is the third lighthouse to be built, the lst being the
old mediaeval pharos attached to St Catherine's Oratory, the
2nd being an unfinished lighthouse started in 1785 beside it
but abandoned don account of dense mists. St Catherine's
lighthouse was built as a result of the wreck of the
'Clarendon' in Chale Bay on the 11th October 1836.
Listing NGR: SZ4981275339
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings