History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Methodist Church Including Schoolrooms and Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Bideford, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0176 / 51°1'3"N

Longitude: -4.2088 / 4°12'31"W

OS Eastings: 245164

OS Northings: 126574

OS Grid: SS451265

Mapcode National: GBR KJ.J3LK

Mapcode Global: FRA 262F.840

Plus Code: 9C3Q2Q9R+3F

Entry Name: Methodist Church Including Schoolrooms and Hall

Listing Date: 19 April 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1209480

English Heritage Legacy ID: 375851

Location: Bideford, Torridge, Devon, EX39

County: Devon

Civil Parish: Bideford

Built-Up Area: Bideford

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Bideford St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Bideford

Description


BIDEFORD

SS4526 HIGH STREET
842-1/5/140 (South side)
Methodist Church including
schoolrooms and hall

GV II

Methodist church. 1912-13. By W Beddoes Rees of Cardiff. Front
of rough-faced, grey and brown coursed Welsh stone rubble with
dressings of limestone (probably Bath stone). Side and rear
walls rendered; dressings of limestone and cream brick. Slate
roofs with pierced red crested ridge-tiles. Cream-brick
chimneys at rear.
Church oblong in plan with galleries on north, east and west
sides. Schoolrooms behind, and then the hall, lying at
right-angles to the church. Arts and Crafts Gothic style.
Front consists of a gabled centrepiece flanked by octagonal
buttresses, these rising almost level with the apex of the
gable. Lower battlemented wings at either side with
steeply-pitched hipped roofs facing sideways. Centre has
moulded doorway with pointed arch; double plank doors with
ornate iron handles and strap-hinges. Flanking the doorhead a
band of limestone panels with pointed, cinquefoiled arches,
the second panel from each end glazed.
In the upper stage a large, traceried 7-light window with
pointed arch; mullions flanking the 3 centre lights are
developed into buttresses which cut through the hood-mould and
turn into 6-sided shafts; these then rise above the roof-line
and are finished with capitals and scroll-buttressed finials.
In the centre of the gable is a niche with cusped ogee arch;
above it on the point of the gable is a large foliated finial;
the octagonal buttresses at either side are banded with
limestone, having limestone tops with trefoil-headed panels
and ogee caps with ball-finials.
The wings have plain, tapered ashlar diagonal buttresses:
doorways and doors similar to those in the centre; in the
upper stage bands of traceried windows, 5 lights at the front,
3 at the sides.
Across the base of the front a series of memorial plaques in
blue Forest of Dean stone.
Side-walls of church have cream-brick buttresses; 2 rows of
2-light limestone windows with blind trefoiled arches to the
lights. Windows at both front and sides have patterned
coloured glass. Windows of schoolrooms and hall are mostly
plain with cream-brick surrounds. West gable-wall of hall
(visible from Providence Row) has doorway and door similar to
those at front of church. Stone window above with pointed
arch; 2 mullions and patterned coloured glass. Mock
timber-framing in apex of gable. Plain bargeboards.
INTERIOR: very well-preserved. Galleries on cast-iron columns
with moulded caps; bowed, patterned cast-iron fronts. From the
side-galleries rise further columns with foliated caps, these
supporting 4-centred arches carrying the main roof. Ceiling
barrel-vaulted with panelling on both ribs and spaces in
between. Apse has piers with moulded imposts from which
springs a 4-centred arch, the piers with traceried Gothic
panels. Elaborate Gothic and Georgian-style wooden rostrum.
Screen to vestibule and several doors half-glazed with
patterned coloured glass. Schoolrooms not inspected in detail,
but they include 2 staircases with turned balusters.
The memorial stones were laid on 26 June 1912 and the church
was opened on 2 July 191
(Bideford Weekly Gazette: 1912-1913: 2.7.1912; 10.12.1912).


Listing NGR: SS4516426574

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.