This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1772 / 52°10'37"N
Longitude: 1.0092 / 1°0'33"E
OS Eastings: 605845
OS Northings: 257485
OS Grid: TM058574
Mapcode National: GBR SJT.HZ2
Mapcode Global: VHKDP.FJWT
Entry Name: The Cedars Hotel
Listing Date: 28 July 1950
Last Amended: 29 November 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1209561
English Heritage Legacy ID: 384627
Location: Stowmarket, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Stowmarket
Built-Up Area: Stowmarket
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Combs St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM05NE NEEDHAM ROAD
614-1/3/99 (North East side)
28/07/50 The Cedars Hotel
(Formerly Listed as:
House, now hotel. Late C15 core, south block added early C17,
mid C18 remodelling, large additions to north and east 1977.
Rendered and colourwashed timber-frame, C17 wing of
colourwashed brick. Plain tiles. Main block runs north-south
with entrance to east.
2 storeys in 3 wide bays. Central C20 glazed doors within C18
doorcase consisting of fluted Ionic pilasters supporting a
dentilled swan-necked pediment over a bolection-moulded
frieze. Capitals have Composite foliage carving. Sash left
with 8/4 glazing bars (formerly 8/8), tripartite sash right
with 8/8 glazing and 4/4 margins. Three 4/4 first-floor
sashes. Wide modillion eaves cornice. Gabled roof, hipped to
north with ridge stack left of centre. North return with three
6/6 sashes to ground floor and 3 similar above. 2 windows to
east are centre-swivel imitations, with glazing bars. Rear has
3 projecting full-height gables with C20 2-light attic
casements. Remainder is obscured by C20 additions.
South block runs east-west. 2 storeys and atticEnglish bond
brick with first-floor platband. Gable to road with two C20
casements each floor. Gabled roof with internal gable-end
stack to east. West gable with a 5-light diamond mullion
window of early C17, and remains of a 4-light similar window
in south return. Remainder of fenestration C20.
INTERIOR. Close studded timber-frame. Main entrance with
multiple roll-moulded cruciform bridging beams. Closed string
dog-leg staircase with turned balusters.
South extension has plain bridging beams and an open fireplace
to east. Main roof structure was once a crown post type: crown
purlin and some cranked braces remain, but crown posts gone.
South extension roof with clasped purlins and straight
windbraces. Rear gables have taper-tenoned purlin roofs.
Listing NGR: TM0584557485
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings