This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.9045 / 54°54'16"N
Longitude: -2.935 / 2°56'5"W
OS Eastings: 340144
OS Northings: 557043
OS Grid: NY401570
Mapcode National: GBR 7CYQ.CN
Mapcode Global: WH7ZW.WZKJ
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 13 November 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1209583
English Heritage Legacy ID: 386682
Location: Carlisle, Cumbria, CA3
Electoral Ward/Division: Stanwix Urban
Built-Up Area: Carlisle
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Carlisle Stanwix St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY4057SW CHURCH STREET, Stanwix
671-1/4/97 (South side)
13/11/72 Church of St Michael
Church of England church on a medieval site. 1841-3 by John
Hodgson; 1843 repairs; 1893 alterations and 1907 extension.
Red sandstone ashlar in irregularly-coursed small blocks, on
chamfered plinth, with clasping buttresses carried up as
pinnacles on tower and nave; stone-bracketed metal gutters.
Graduated greenslate roof with coped gables and cross finials.
West 3-stage square tower/porch; 10-bay nave with transepts;
apsidal chancel with north organ chamber (former vestry) and
south vestry extension. Built in Commissioners style.
Tower has west double plank doors in painted chamfered arch;
tall lancets above on 2 levels, the upper ones with louvred
vents; clock faces on 3 sides. Nave and transepts have tall
lancet windows. Vestries have 2- and 3-light windows some with
cusped heads, others rounded. Apse has arcade of small
INTERIOR: rib-vaulted plaster ceiling in nave and apse.
Windows mostly of plain glass; some C20 stained glass. C19
painted board giving list of church benefactors and Hanoverian
kings' arms 1714-1801. Late C19 hexagonal wooden pulpit and
benches. 1893 granite-pillared sandstone font. Extensive white
marble wall plaques some with carved portrait heads, draped
figures etc, to Robert Ferguson d.1816 (see Marshall Hall,
1979), Eliza Graham d.1852 and John Chambers d.1850 are all by
John Kirkbride 1786-1854; Esther Bonnel d.1822, Isabella
Patrickson d.1854, Charles James Graham d.1847 and Wm Sowerby
d.1855 are all by Thomas Nelson 1807-90; Charles Wm Thompson
d.1843 by Christopher Woodall 1795-1859; Maria Woodrouffe Head
d.1854 by Bedford of Oxford (this is probably J Bedford of
Oxford Street, London); Capt Hugh Patrickson d.1821 by Paul
HISTORY: The foundation stone was laid on 1 June 1841 and it
opened in 1843, but a fire on 21 December 1843 destroyed the
wooden fitments and roof; for further details see Taylor
(1982). Built on the site of a Roman Wall fort.
(Marshall Hall: The Artists of Cumbria: 1979-: P.50; Taylor G:
A Brief History of Stanwix: 1982-).
Listing NGR: NY4014457043
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings