History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

1-4, Camden Place

A Grade II Listed Building in Preston, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7549 / 53°45'17"N

Longitude: -2.7013 / 2°42'4"W

OS Eastings: 353854

OS Northings: 428954

OS Grid: SD538289

Mapcode National: GBR T9N.6Z

Mapcode Global: WH85M.GWW9

Plus Code: 9C5VQ73X+XF

Entry Name: 1-4, Camden Place

Listing Date: 27 September 1979

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1209659

English Heritage Legacy ID: 391925

Location: Preston, Lancashire, PR1

County: Lancashire

Electoral Ward/Division: Town Centre

Built-Up Area: Preston

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Preston St John and St George the Martyr

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Preston

Description


PRESTON

SD5328NE CAMDEN PLACE
941-1/13/48 (West side)
27/09/79 Nos.1-4 (Consecutive)

GV II

Row of 3 town houses, now all offices. c.1830, in 3 builds;
altered. Red brick in Flemish bond, with sandstone dressings
and slate roof. Double-depth plan, each house single-fronted
and with a back extension. Two storeys over cellars, each
house 2 bays, with vertical joints between Nos.1 and 2, and 3
and 4, respectively, and a continuous frieze and moulded
cornice (continued over one bay to left of No.1, which appears
to be part of this item but is actually a back-extension to
No.25 Ribblesdale Place, q.v.). Each house has the doorway to
the left, up 2 steps, with a doorcase of engaged Tuscan
columns with square abaci, plain frieze and moulded cornice,
plain jambs with imposts, panelled door, and elliptical
fanlight (original radiating glazing bars at No.1, others
altered); the lintel of a sunk cellar window to the right
(light-wells of Nos.1 and 2 covered by gratings, others now
filled in); one window at ground floor and 2 above, all with
raised sills and wedge lintels, and all sashed without glazing
bars except those at 1st floor of No.2 which are now top-hung
casements. Nos.1 and 3 each have one chimney each side of
ridge, others now lack chinmneys.
INTERIORS: Nos.1 to 3 have small entrance halls with panelled
arches and moulded plaster modillions, and cellars under front
rooms only, with fireplaces; No.1 has dog-legged staircase
with stick balusters and carved brackets; back yard of No.2
has blocked well (filled in by order of Sanitary Purposes
Committee in 1878); No.4 remodelled internally.


Listing NGR: SD5385228950

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.