This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.6691 / 54°40'8"N
Longitude: -2.8646 / 2°51'52"W
OS Eastings: 344335
OS Northings: 530785
OS Grid: NY443307
Mapcode National: GBR 8GFG.M1
Mapcode Global: WH812.ZX20
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 27 December 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1210233
English Heritage Legacy ID: 73820
Location: Greystoke, Eden, Cumbria, CA11
Civil Parish: Greystoke
Built-Up Area: Greystoke
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Greystoke
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY 43 SW GREYSTOKE CHURCH ROAD (East
12/99 Church of St Andrew
Parish church, at one time a college for priests. C13 with extensive C15
alterations and additions, with restorations of 1645, 1848 and 1878-99. Dressed
mixed red, pink and cream sandstone, with string courses, parapet and angle
buttresses with finials, all on chamfered plinth. Graduated greenslate roofs
with coped gables and cross finials. Square west tower; aisled nave with south
porch and priest's chamber, now vestry; chancel. Rebuilt 1848 3-stage tower has
pointed doorway and small trefoil-headed windows under hoodmoulds. Battlemented
parapet with angle water spouts. North aisle has pointed -arched doorway but
wall above has been rebuilt in C19 with 3 of the 4 Perpendicular windows
replaced. 5-light east window. South aisle is completely C15: round-arched
doorway under hoodmould within C15 gabled stone porch. Further blocked
round-arched central doorway (probably to chantry chapel, of which there
were 6). Large 3-light windows and small Tudor window over porch, all under
continuous hoodmould. Priest's chamber above has 2-light Tudor windows on 2
levels, under battlemented parapet; projecting round angle turret. Large
5-light east window. Chancel has inscription in north wall THIS CHANCEL WAS
REPAIRED 1645 BY THOS HOWARD OF GREYSTOKE EARL OF ARUNDEL AND SURREY AND W.
MORLAND RECTOR: WAS RESTORED 1848 BY HENRY HOWARD OF GREYSTOKE & HENRY ASKEW
RECTOR. Perpendicular windows and south priest's door. 5-light east window.
Interior: C19 open timber roof. 6-bay arcades of pointed arches, the eastern
arches larger and intended for transepts, the remainder on round piers replaced
in 1817-18. Wall plaque to William Williams, 1679. North aisle has hatchment
of Howard arms. Stained glass window by Kempe, 1901. Remains of rood stair.
South aisle has various C17, C18 and C19 wall plaques, piscina and alabaster
effigies of William Lord Greystoke 1359 and John Lord Greystoke, 1436; also 4
C16 brasses originally in the chancel. 2 4-light flat-headed windows look into
aisle from upper floor of priest's chamber. Interior of priest's chamber has
piscina and C15 fireplace. Newel with squint. Hatchments of arias and C19
stained glass. 3-bay chancel has C14 stained glass reset in east window.
Panelled oak chair stalls with misericords. Rood screen has some C15 woodwork.
North tomb recess, south piscina and sedilia are 1848 restorations. Various
inscribed shields set in north wall relate to the College of Greystoke; other
C19 stained glass.
Listing NGR: NY4433530785
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings