This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.3659 / 52°21'57"N
Longitude: -2.7227 / 2°43'21"W
OS Eastings: 350885
OS Northings: 274447
OS Grid: SO508744
Mapcode National: GBR BK.S4CB
Mapcode Global: VH843.RSGP
Entry Name: Chapel House
Listing Date: 15 April 1954
Last Amended: 9 August 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1210446
English Heritage Legacy ID: 389935
Location: Ludlow, Shropshire, SY8
Civil Parish: Ludlow
Built-Up Area: Ludlow
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Ludlow St Laurence
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
825-1/1/306 Chapel House
(Formerly Listed as:
Chapel of St Thomas the Martyr)
Formerly known as: The Morgue DINHAM.
Chapel, now house. C18 with medieval origins. Rubble with some
dressed stone; brick; plain tile roof with stone coped gable
parapet to right. 2-storeys; single window range: C20, 2-light
casement under brick segmental arch, in brick 1st floor; brick
modillion eaves; central lantern with wrought-iron vane.
Rubble ground floor has central C20 half-glazed door with
overlight, under brick segmental arch; flanked by two C20,
2-light windows. Right-hand half of the building has 2 blind
openings under reset pointed arches with drip courses; over
pointed arch with drip course, and coved band.
Right returned side has pointed arch with drip course, over
C20 wood lancet window. Pointed arch with drip course, and
coved band to ground floor. Left gable has blocked opening
with brick quoins.
Rear has four 2-light casements in brickwork, and to left,
blocked opening under ashlar faced pointed arch, with parapet
INTERIOR has vaulted ceiling with chamfered ribs; C20 door in
south wall, under 4 central arch. Wall to left has probably
C19 pointed arch with plank door.
History: former Chapel of St Thomas of Canterbury. Restored
(Information from Ludlow Historical Research Group).
Listing NGR: SO5088674450
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings