This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4988 / 51°29'55"N
Longitude: -1.4085 / 1°24'30"W
OS Eastings: 441152
OS Northings: 177924
OS Grid: SU411779
Mapcode National: GBR 6Z5.YHB
Mapcode Global: VHC1G.JLQD
Plus Code: 9C3WFHXR+GH
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 24 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1210713
English Heritage Legacy ID: 395295
Location: Chaddleworth, West Berkshire, RG20
County: West Berkshire
Civil Parish: Chaddleworth
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Chaddleworth
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU 47 SW
MOUNT LANE (north side)
Church of St. Andrew
Church. C11, C13 and C16 with C18 additions and 1851 chancel by G.E. Street. Rough cast render on flint with Bath stone quoins and dressings, flint plinth, flint south porch and blue brick chancel. Plain tiled roof with patterned grey tiles on chancel. West Tower, nave, south porch, chancel, two pews and vestry to north.
South elevation: Tower to left with single louvre in moulded surround with cusped pointed head and label mould over; moulded string with carved heads and double louvre over. Moulded string with carved heads at base of plain parapet with stone coping.
South porch: gable parapet and two centred arched entrance under drip mould.
South doorway: C11 with round head, chevron patterned jambs with fluted caps and twp rows of chevrons round the arch, the outer course having carved heads at springing; a mass clock has been cut into the jamb below the right hand capital. Above the door is a decorated niche for a statue.
Nave: three-light and two-light windows with square heads and label moulds flanking doorway with cambered head.
Chancel: higher pitched roof than nave with gable parapets and stone buttresses; three-light window in two centred arch with drip mould to left, lancet to right.
West elevation: Tower with window of two centred arch with re-set billet mould over and restored perpendicular tracery; clock face over and moulded string with carved heads; double louvre below stone with inscription "MBR 1637 AMP"
North elevation: lean to vestry on chancel with two lancets; two lancets to nave. Breaking forward from nave are two pews with gabled tiled roofs, that to left being brick with oval in gable and that to right rendered with dentil course to eaves; this is partly built over two-light window in nave wall, stair to tower under pent roof.
Interior: walls plastered and painted.
Nave: 5½ bays, three bays to west have collar roof with arch braces, curved wind braces and butt purlin, central half bay showing junction of two builds, two bays to east of ties and collars with arch braces, double butt purlins.
Chancel: arch, chamfered two centred springing off triple columns with plain coved caps and plinth bases, two steps up; three bays with cusped bracing to collars.
Tower: arch, distorted ogee, recessed and chamfered with carved head at springing.
Pews: built at right angles to nave on north are two family pews, that to east of 1706, the Blandy pew, reached by three steps with turned balustrade and gate across semi-circular arched opening. Plain barrel vault roof. To west, the Wroughton pew, 1765, four steps up to opening with Tuscan pilasters supporting frieze and cornice and closed by turned balustrade with gate, raised and fielded panelled dado with fitted bench seats all round.
Monuments: South wall: two stone and marble aedicules, one to Bartholomew Tipping of Woolley 1737, the other to Bartholomew Tipping of Woolley 1718. North wall: above pulpit, marble surround of pilasters and frieze to two re-set tablets each depicting kneeling woman and children, the left to Mary Nelson, 1618 the right to Dorothy Nelson 1619 each with a verse. Large grey and white marble memorial to Bartholomew Tipping of Woolley 1757, panel with scroll supports below cartouche and crest under curved cornice surmounted by cup and flower drapery. Grey and white marble panel to Rev. Charles Musgrave 1768, surmounted by sculpture of female figure leaning on urn. Blandy Pew: Aedicule in coloured marble to John Blandy 1742 surmounted by cartouche of arms, inscribed "Hicks of Newbury" on base. Wroughton Pew: nine marble monuments of varying style and size, the main central panel to Bartholomew Tipping 1798.
Fittings: re-set hexagonal pulpit C17-style timber, panelled with star marketry in panels, moulded base on cut off acanthus leaf capital. Norman tub font.
Listing NGR: SU4114877924
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings